Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cutting a slot for a new selector switch - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cutting a slot for a new selector switch

What's Hot
Following up on an excellent suggestion here (of course!) I'm considering putting an Ibanez RG-type five-way selector circuit into a two humbucker guitar. At present the instrument has a single vol pot and a large 3-way selector toggle.

I'd normally start with the smallest hole I could fit my coping saw blade through then cutting a straight slot but I'm sure that'd result in too large a start hole and too narrow a slot.

I turn to the experts, please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Buy the cheapest metal Telecaster control plate you can find.

Bolt it to the pickguard through the switch mounting holes.

Drill as many holes (diameter should be 1/16" or 1.5mm) as you can fit into the length of the slot, and clean it up with needle files.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Are you cutting into the wood of a body, or the plastic of a scratch plate?

For the former, I've done the following;
    • Use a decent blade to score the line where you want the slot to be
    • Also mark the points where the mounting screws for the switch will go
    • Use a thin drill bit to drill holes at either end of the scored line
    • Then, carefully, drill a few more holes all the way along the line
    • You could put some masking tape either side of where the slots is going to be, as a marker/guide
    • That creates a fairly ragged mess of holes
    • Either use a thin file, or some sandpaper to join the holes together into one long slot, and tidy up the sides of the slot.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    It's how I did this one a couple of years ago ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I use a tele plate too, but join the hole swith a dremel and small router bit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Freeway 3X3-03 six-way toggle selector switch. Directly retrofits Switchcraft switch hole. 

I would need to scratch my head a bit to suss out the exact wiring on the Freeway.
    Be seeing you.
  • FlipFlip Frets: 54
    edited August 2023
    As usual, I am reminded how much wisdom lies in these pages. Thank you gentlemen.. I should have made it clear that I am planning to cut directly into the wood, but your suggestions have covered that.

I also wondered about using a Dremel circular blade but my concern was that it's very easy to create a slit that's not exactly vertical. The telecaster plate 'guide' and a my pillar drill are appealing options to produce a line of drilled holes at the correct angle. I'm also reminded about my own advice to people about Dremels - that too often they're the fastest way to screw up a job.

I also didn't add that the existing cavity in which I'm planning to work is very tight. Routing additional space or even a new cavity are options. It may be possible to avoid doing that but I also want to avoid moving the existing pot holes which makes that aspect even trickier.

At worst I'll have to have the whole cavity enlarged which is something I'm neither equipped nor experienced at to do myself but happily I have an excellent and very cooperative joiner nearby.

Finally I'd wondered about Funkfingers' idea of a switch alternative but my ability with the wiring isn't up to that challenge, I suppose I could always ask another question here.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Flip said:
    I also wondered about using a Dremel circular blade but my concern was that it's very easy to create a slit that's not exactly vertical. The telecaster plate 'guide' and a my pillar drill are appealing options to produce a line of drilled holes at the correct angle. I'm also reminded about my own advice to people about Dremels - that too often they're the fastest way to screw up a job.

they are fine if used with care, and the right bit!   A circular blade would not be good for this, but a router or grinder bit cleaning up a line of holes will generally work well and follow the path of least resistance
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Tele plate worked for me too
    Just an update on progress while I'm waiting for the selector switches to arrive from Germany - three from Thomann inc delivery cost less than one from Alegree though of course delivery is slower! Gold plated Tennessee revivals from Warman are also ready to install in turn.

I found the forstner drill bit set I already had included one exactly the right size for the largest required and a set of smallish dremel routers plus my existing accessories were ideal for creating the cavity. I have some sheets of 2mm plastic arriving tomorrow from which I'll cut the new cover.

When the switches arrive I'll use the multiple 1.5mm hole technique recommended above followed by a 1.6mm dremel router using a tele plate as the guide to cut the slot, then finally drill and countersink the holes for the selector screws. After that it's the wiring and there'll be another upgraded, updated headless guitar to go on our Guitar-Art stand at the next Guitar Fair - with appropriate thanks to the generous folk here as usual.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Flip said:
    When the switches arrive I'll use the multiple 1.5mm hole technique recommended above followed by a 1.6mm dremel router using a tele plate as the guide to cut the slot, then finally drill and countersink the holes for the selector screws. 
    I drill the screw holes first, and use them to securely attach the control plate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks @SteveRobinson. Obviously that's good advice - my thoughts were to make sure the 2502N switches were the same size but of curse I could check that against the tele plate first. Sometimes the most obvious things don't occur - maybe it's an age thing!