Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGFD (New Guitar Finish Day) - G&L ASAT (Rainbow sparkle content) - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGFD (New Guitar Finish Day) - G&L ASAT (Rainbow sparkle content)

What's Hot
nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
edited August 2023 in Making & Modding
Howdy all

I recently decided that the "blackguard" look on my ASAT, whilst originally what I wanted, was no longer what I wanted.

After a few days of figuring out what I did want, I ended up with either: shell pink; dark blue (inspired by the old Sapphire Blue Jerry Donahue Telecasters); or silver sparkle.

I've always liked the really tacky, sparkly finishes G&L do (such as those done for various members of the Hellecasters). I also remembered that rainbow glitter paints exist - decision made. I also decided at this stage that I didn't want a pickguard (why would I want to cover up all of that glitter?) - so I plugged up/wood-filled those holes 

I did a number of test pieces and learned that Rust-oleum's rainbow glitter paint is awful, truly awful. What did work was buying separate glitter additive (silver holographic, to be specific) from Amazon and mixing it in with some clear coat.

I also replaced the stock MFDs with a Radioshop ID:Telecaster set. Paul Best is always such a lovely guy to deal with, and they make a preeetty good pickup too. Nothing "wrong" with the MFDs per se, they are a decent set of tele pickups. I just fancied something more traditional.

After a few weeks of hard work, here is the result. A truly tacky G&L ASAT Classic. In low light, it is essentially just silver sparkle with a slight bit of colour shift if you catch a lightbulb. In the sun, its a completely different beast. It is quite difficult to capture exactly how in your face this is via photograph...I may have to upload a video or two when its sunny again!

Vids:

Coming...

Pics:

https://i.imgur.com/VUtnsKR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lvOVw7l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xTgdhxP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tKmphEI.jpg
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Pics no worky :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    Pics no worky :(
    Oh dang - working on my end :(

I'll try and sort.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 311
    Love it. Great job. Guitars should be fun colours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Love it. Great job. Guitars should be fun colours. 
    Cheers mate - and I completely agree!
  • I like that - it actually looks a bit more subtle than some metal flake finishes I've seen (although that may be just because it's still pictures). I think the no-scratchplate look works well with that as well.
  • YES.

I approve. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    I like that - it actually looks a bit more subtle than some metal flake finishes I've seen (although that may be just because it's still pictures). I think the no-scratchplate look works well with that as well.
    Can confirm that in person it goes from subtle in shade to actually blinding in direct light. It's the most outrageous guitar finish I've ever seen in person. @nacnudnai you need to stick a video up, I think!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Love it!
    timmypix said:
    I like that - it actually looks a bit more subtle than some metal flake finishes I've seen (although that may be just because it's still pictures). I think the no-scratchplate look works well with that as well.
    Can confirm that in person it goes from subtle in shade to actually blinding in direct light. It's the most outrageous guitar finish I've ever seen in person. @nacnudnai you need to stick a video up, I think!
    @DartmoorHedgehog ;Yeah, I agree that its "subtle" in that the particles of glitter are quite small - so when it's still and in dull light it looks like inca silver, rather than the more Gretsch-type flake finish. Initially, I was going to do the big metal flake finish, but after doing some test pieces I actually liked the softer look of the smaller glitter. I found that the smaller glitter actually gave a better rainbow effect under bright light too.

As @timmypix says, once its moving in the sun you really get the full effect of it, I will definitely try and add a video to this as I think its a shame not to see it!