Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NPDs - Kingsley & Dinosaural - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NPDs - Kingsley & Dinosaural

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
edited August 2023 in FX
Kingsley Page and Dinosaural Cogmeister. A quite different but equally exciting pair arrived over the last couple of weeks. Both backordered a while ago and coincidentally arrived almost together. 

The Cogmeister is a great all-in-one thing that's essentially a Tubebender with a treble boost in front and solo boost following, all independently switchable. It's a lovely set of options and I'm happy to report it sounds fab. Apparently the TB was all over Snow Patrol's Eyes Open from 2006-ish. I appreciate that might be a little lightweight for some here but that record had some phenomenal guitar sounds so I'm thinking this will be a go-to home solution to get a bunch of different sounds quickly when practicing. And on top of that it's supporting a great couple of blokes in Thorpy and Coggins. 

Then came the Kingsley Page. This is one I'd seen on boards of players I like - Ed O'Brien and Noel Gallagher in particular. Not your most "guitar hero" types but consistently great sounds and clearly on the money-no-object side of things as far as gear goes, but they consistently keep one of these onboard. And when Thorpy says Kingsley are his favourite builder you kinda have to sit and listen.

Now I appreciate I've had this like 2 days and played it in total for about 30 minutes so I don't want to go overboard but HOLY SHIT. This might be my favourite ever drive. Squelchy, clean, crunchy, yada yada - I don't know. I absolutely LOVE it so far. I've spent most of my time jamming around James Gang's Funk 49 and it's just perfection. It'll go straight on the live board and now I'm going to go look at demos of the other Kingsleys... 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited August 2023
    stickyfiddle said: Then came the Kingsley Page. This is one I'd seen on boards of players I like - Ed O'Brien and Noel Gallagher in particular. Not your most "guitar hero" types but consistently great sounds and clearly on the money-no-object side of things as far as gear goes, but they consistently keep one of these onboard. And when Thorpy says Kingsley are his favourite builder you kinda have to sit and listen. 

Now I appreciate I've had this like 2 days and played it in total for about 30 minutes so I don't want to go overboard but HOLY SHIT. This might be my favourite ever drive. Squelchy, clean, crunchy, yada yada - I don't know. I absolutely LOVE it so far. 
    The Page is brilliant isn’t it? Possibly the best drive pedal that isn’t even a drive pedal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    stickyfiddle said: 
    The Page is brilliant isn’t it? Possibly the best drive pedal that isn’t even a drive pedal!
    I was honestly bowled over when I first plugged it in. Very aware of not wanting to get into honeymoon phase syndrome but first impressions are that it’s astonishing and may lead to a massive sell off because why would I use anything else..!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Superb additions to your setup, you sound delighted and that is the most important thing. Im pretty ignorant.. I thought Kingsley were a UK based company but the website is a US site? Maybe im looking at the wrong thing?

Apparently the TB was all over Snow Patrol's Eyes Open from 2006-ish. I appreciate that might be a little lightweight for some here but that record had some phenomenal guitar sounds so I'm thinking this will be a go-to home solution to get a bunch of different sounds quickly when practicing. And on top of that it's supporting a great couple of blokes in Thorpy and Coggins. 

Then came the Kingsley Page. This is one I'd seen on boards of players I like - Ed O'Brien and Noel Gallagher in particular. Not your most "guitar hero" types but consistently great sounds and clearly on the money-no-object side of things as far as gear goes, but they consistently keep one of these onboard.

You dont have to justify where your inspiration comes from or why. These guys are guitarists are in big rock bands, so we're obviously gonna use them as tonal benchmarks. And its absolutely worth discussing on a forum regardless of how many notes a second they play during a solo. One of my favourite guitar tones is Kelly Jones on Words Gets Around and Performance and Cocktails.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @GoldenEraGuitars spot on. Totally agree on Kelly Jones too - he’s why I wanted an SG as a teenager and those records haven’t lost an ounce of their magic with time. 

FYI I thought the same re Kingsley. They’re Canada-based, but sell in USD, and the main man is British, I think. Anyway, small company making awesome pedals and great comms on email. And a non-stupid waiting list too. This won’t be my last I’m sure.  
    GoldenEraGuitars said: I thought Kingsley were a UK based company but the website is a US site? Maybe im looking at the wrong thing?
    Simon Jarrett is the man, he’s British but has been in Canada for many years, near Vancouver where he makes Kingsley pedals and amps. He is a brilliant guitarist too…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGmfigyLhuQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Also, at the risk of opening up another discussion…  it’s *totally* a feel thing as much as a sound one.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    Also, at the risk of opening up another discussion…  it’s *totally* a feel thing as much as a sound one.
    Would totally agree with that statement. 

No idea why I sold all the ones I have had in the past… Might go and get another actually.

What I would say, is that when my enjoyment of the Page sent me on a spree of buying other Kingsley pedals, there were no others I liked at all. Not one.
    edited August 2023
    CloudNine said: What I would say, is that when my enjoyment of the Page sent me on a spree of buying other Kingsley pedals, there were no others I liked at all. Not one.
    I got a Jester at the same time as my Page and thought it was a great pedal which could make lots of excellent sounds, but in the end I felt there were too many knobs, switches and options for my liking so I sold it. One of the great things about the Page is its simplicity.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    edited August 2023
    @fretfinder  From what I remember of the Jester, I think I found that the drive tones were a bit overwhelming, like you step on it and we’re suddenly using a different amp to your own, which I suppose actually makes sense given what it is, and is why people bang on about ‘transparent’ overdrives etc. But this seemed quite extreme to me, like there was nothing left of your original tone. And also, could not seem to get it to sound good on lower drive settings. Sure it’s a great pedal though, not dissing it, just never worked for me.
  • The Harlot is the perfect compliment to the Page. Another wonder pedal.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 851
    Just received my cogmeister as well and am very happy with it. Great sounding and very versatile. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 237
    +1 on the Page.

Re the Cogmeister, I like the format of treble boost going into a gritty overdrive for more gain then going into another boost (of a different flavour) for solo boost.

I could see how that would work and then thought, hmm. I set up a Broadcast into a Scran into a Ktr (then into a Page to mimic an cooking amp) Bingo! Can't believe I haven't set them up like this before. Tried some other pedals too that roughly fit those roles and they worked too. 

That format really works. Think I'm happy for the moment but who knows I might spring for a Cog.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    Dibs on the Cog :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I really want to try both of these but both are very spendy... 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Not wishing to piss on your chips but aren’t the knobs on the Cogmeister uncomfortably close to the foot switches? That would worry me. Then again if it sounded brilliant I might not care!
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    edited September 2023
    I'm feeling really drawn to the Page.  What's the waiting time on Kingsley stuff at the moment?
  • Fishboy7 said:
    I'm feeling really drawn to the Page.  What's the waiting time on Kingsley stuff at the moment?
    Mine was quoted as 5 weeks and was just a couple of days over that from first contact to shipping. It's an ace pedal
  • Keefy said:
    Not wishing to piss on your chips but aren’t the knobs on the Cogmeister uncomfortably close to the foot switches? That would worry me. Then again if it sounded brilliant I might not care!
    Honestly I hadn't thought of it as I'm mostly using it at home, but it's ok so far. The switches are fairly tall so I'm fine with it, but ymmv, esp depending on how big your shoes are! 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965

Fishboy7 said:
    Mine was quoted as 5 weeks and was just a couple of days over that from first contact to shipping. It's an ace pedal
    That's not too long actually.  There's one on eBay for £385 actually but I think that's more than a new one.
  • Fishboy7 said:

Fishboy7 said:
    That's not too long actually.  There's one on eBay for £385 actually but I think that's more than a new one.
    Yeah, v reasonable and good on comms throughout, which is always nice.
  • @Fishboy7 I placed an order two weeks ago and Simon quoted me 6 weeks.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Keefy said:
    Honestly I hadn't thought of it as I'm mostly using it at home, but it's ok so far. The switches are fairly tall so I'm fine with it, but ymmv, esp depending on how big your shoes are! 
    I have size 11 feet and I have to choose my gig footwear carefully to avoid unintentional switching of adjacent pedals!