Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mystery rosewood (walnut) neck / dried out Walnut - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mystery rosewood (walnut) neck / dried out Walnut

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Picked up a very intriguing partscaster at Manchester Guitar Show today! Very happy to have a new project on the go

I THINK it's got a rosewood neck however it does look quite pale for rosewood so I'm not sure if it's dried out? It also has a flamed maple skunk stripe, and much darker coloured rosewood fretboard (see second photo) and abalone dots, which make me think it's a very high quality neck. The only similar necks I can find seem to be on Etsy under a company called "Havok Custom Guitars" so just wondering if anyone recognises who made this, if it's not them?

I've always wanted a guitar with a solid rosewood neck, but i've never seen one that wasn't one solid piece of rosewood, and never seen one with a maple skunk stripe, which I think is quite a distinctive feature.

The wood of the neck itself (not the fretboard) is looking quite pale, particularly the back of the headstock (the front is lacquered and seems to have held it's darker colour, which makes me think the wood is dried out).. Is there a product I can use to treat the dryness of the wood? I'm used to lemon oiling rosewood fretboards but pretty sure there is a better product for doing a whole neck.. also seen Mineral Oil mentioned on google.

Thanks for any advice!!

Will also do a proper NGD post when it's had a bit of TLC.

(edit: thanks to the comments, I have learnt that it’s actaully a WALNUT neck.. The yearning for a rosewood neck continues but this will pacify me for a little while haha) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1004
    100% Walnut oil (buy it from tesco as a salad dessing) or boiled linseed oil (do not use raw linseed oil as it does not cure)

Wipe on a good coat let it sit for 10 mins wipe off the excess leave to cure over night, then just wipe down again iwith a clean cloth and buff if you want shinny...Looks nice btw Gratz.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looks awesome!

Could the seller not tell you any more abou it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Looks like walnut to me. Skunk stripes are normally walnut so an inverted maple/walnut combo sort of makes sense too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    You could just rub shelled walnuts onto the wood to release the oils, a lá @JerkMoans   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Fender used maple skunk stripes on their rosewood Tele necks.

I agree with elstoof that it looks like walnut. I had a couple of air rifles with stocks which looked just like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Yeah, my thought was walnut too. Looks nice.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Noice
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
    Ahh, totally didn’t think about walnut! That would make sense. 

The seller didn’t know anything about it so I just took a punt on it.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    hassleham said:
     I'm used to lemon oiling rosewood fretboards but pretty sure there is a better product for doing a whole neck.. also seen Mineral Oil mentioned on google.
    "Lemon oil" is just "mineral oil" with a scent of lemons.  To my knowledge it doesn't actually contain any oils from lemon skin (terpinene, terpinolene, limonene).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Tru oil and walnut are made for each other 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited August 2023
    Not ever tried walnut oil. But I prefer the look of the music nomad f-one oil over tru oil. Darker and also less murky looking. No comment re durability, but just as with tru-oiled musicman necks (I have a rosewood AL HH) consuder finishing with a light coat of wax, at least on the back.

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Not ever tried walnut oil. But I prefer the look of the music nomad f-one oil over tru oil. Darker and also less murky looking. No comment re durability, but just as with tru-oiled musicman necks (I have a rosewood AL HH) consuder finishing with a light coat of wax, at least on the back.

i agree about wax, but as I say, tru-oil is made for walnut... or more accurately, it was made for Gun stocks (it says so right on the bottle) - which are traditionally made from walnut.  They go together very well.
    edited September 2023
    Just updating now that I've finally got round to doing something with this!

Sanding off the crappy decal..

Already looking tasty after just one coat of tru oil (thanks to @drbob for this!!). Will be doing a load more coats once this first one has cured.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    edited September 2023
    Looks lovely, nice project indeed :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    That's gorgeous! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    A good buy!

• BillDL said:
    hassleham said:
     I'm used to lemon oiling rosewood fretboards but pretty sure there is a better product for doing a whole neck.. also seen Mineral Oil mentioned on google.
    "Lemon oil" is just "mineral oil" with a scent of lemons.  To my knowledge it doesn't actually contain any oils from lemon skin (terpinene, terpinolene, limonene).

I use Danish oil. My partner is a cabinet finisher and polisher and she swears by it. I've now used it on a dozen guitar necks and fretboards and each time it has given great results.
    edited October 2023
    Progress! Looking good now. Can't wait to string it up

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter