Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gartone 5E3 - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gartone 5E3

What's Hot
RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
Did a gig last night, testing out a new Gartone 5E3 for Martin. Sounded fantastic and felt great "under the fingers" too. I'll make a few clips this week and post them for anyone interested.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 779
    Was it a standard 5E3 spec or anything t different? 
    I just picked up an older one from a fretboard member and very happy so far.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    I don't have any details at the moment but will find out on Tuesday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    They are a fantastic amp ......to my ears much nicer than the LazyJ but that's personal.
    There is some talk that the older ones are more sought after for some specific reason but I can't remember what it is.
    Anybody tell me please ?
    edited August 2023
    I prefer the Gartone too. As for the idea that the older ones are more sought after, I think that's down to "internet wisdom".
    edited August 2023
    A few clips here. I tried to capture the "squidgy touch sensitivity", for want of a better term. This one is now signed off and ready to go.

https://youtu.be/
    https://youtu.be/FAR-VMXnxLs
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wow, that sounds great
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Love that clean sound with the Strat, perfect amount of amp compression. 
  • Fantastic sound (and some very nice playing on wish I could do that). What sort of volume settings was that?
    Fantastic sound (and some very nice playing on wish I could do that). What sort of volume settings was that?
    Thanks Matt. I think it was just below half way up, maybe a little more with the Tele. Not deafening. The great thing about these amps is how they compress when you dig in a bit. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    tFB Trader
    Martin's amps are exceptional. Built, engineered, and fettled far beyond the requirement of the price point. He makes the more popular boutique brands look fairly amateurish in comparison.

If I didn't build my own gear, there are only two builders I'd approach for an amp. Gartone and Modulus.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    RiftAmps said:
    Martin's amps are exceptional. Built, engineered, and fettled far beyond the requirement of the price point. He makes the more popular boutique brands look fairly amateurish in comparison.

If I didn't build my own gear, there are only two builders I'd approach for an amp. Gartone and Modulus.
    Agreed.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Sounds great Rick.  Did you find out if it was standard?

edited August 2023

Sounds great Rick.  Did you find out if it was standard?

It's the 5E3 circuit yes, but this is lower voltage and thus a bit less output. Still very giggable though.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    edited August 2023
    Dominic said:
    They are a fantastic amp ......to my ears much nicer than the LazyJ but that's personal.
    There is some talk that the older ones are more sought after for some specific reason but I can't remember what it is.
    Anybody tell me please ?
    I've got one of the early ones Martin made around 19 yrs ago.
    When mine went in for a service early last year Martin said that he made approximately 10 of the early ones.
    Martin  used the finest parts on them, some NOS parts.
    The Cab on Mine has been made by the late Larry Rodgers in antique pine. 
    I changed the original Celestion Blue for a Alnico cream to give the amp a little bit more warmth.
    Absolutely superb amp I would never part with it.
    Still in fine condition after all the years.
    Would like to try some NOS valves at some point.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    RickLucas said:
    That's the sound. Love it. And i don't often say this about demo vids, but: 'excellent playing  '
    @Greatape thank you.
  • Killer demo! Great playing that really showcased that magical 'squish'. I'll bet Gartone's order list is about to get a bit longer! 
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 106
    RickLucas said:
    RiftAmps said:

Agreed.
    If you want to try the rift 5e3 (americana LP) give me a shout. Seems a long time ago watching you at the bank. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 590
    Lovely playing and great sound there @RickLucas. We met briefly at The Brook, where I dropped my Jewel off for Martin to service a few weeks back. Picked it up tonight, he just makes the best amps. 
    @slugelise The Bank at Sale? Yes that's a while ago. 25 years? We had some good nights in there. It's probably a Pound Shop now.  
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 106
    RickLucas said:
    @slugelise The Bank at Sale? Yes that's a while ago. 25 years? We had some good nights in there. It's probably a Pound Shop now.  
    it was briefly a Tim Hortons coffee shop. Some great jams there by the house band, I used to come down with Steve Robinson.
    Anyway, if you want to borrow the rift for a while. let me know, still in Sale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Did you try jumping the channels with the 2 of the 4 inputs and patch cable? There some extra magic (unicorns and things I'm told) in jumping them. 
    Neilybob said:
    Did you try jumping the channels with the 2 of the 4 inputs and patch cable? There some extra magic (unicorns and things I'm told) in jumping them. 
    No but the volumes interact without jumping them. These clips were in the bright no. 1 input, I'm not sure if there was any normal mixed in or not.