Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NAD - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NAD

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
in Amps tFB Trader
Well.. I finally did it. I’ve been promising myself a Vox AC30 for years but a combination of “being too busy/not into playing enough” killed the idea off for a while. 

But recently (after exploring several options including other brands, pedals and smaller Vox’s) the opportunity came up to try out and acquire this CC2. I wasn’t totally sold at first, it didn’t seem to do that Vox “thing”. But it’s also the first time I’d plugged into an amp in a shop for years and years. So I didn’t dwell on it too much.. I kinda figured the tone was in there but I needed more time to figure it out.

I agreed to take the amp about 6-7 weeks ago but I was only able to have it collected on Thursday. I spent a glorious hour with it when I got it back to the workshop - after spending about 30 seconds setting the gain and EQ where I like it. All of a sudden I got that “chime”! It rings like a bell, just like a Vox should. And thanks to the MV I’m getting those tones at bedroom volume. 

The reverb is superb as well and as a nice bonus it has tremolo built in. 

I’m absolutely delighted to own this and I’d urge anyone wanting to scratch the AC30 itch to play a CC2. 

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    And just to get this “secret” in early - “how do you get your amps so dark, Scott?”

* autoglym works brilliantly on other rubber and vinyl items you might have hidden away in your gaff

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Congratulations on your amp ,pleased you are enjoying it, well done with the autoglym 
      Looks like you’ve had a great day, good start to the weekend 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    edited August 2023
    Scott, love your relics, love your new amp, and love that Autoglym tip !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    @hollywoodrox @Wazmeister ; thank you both!

The darkening tip, while true, is also a bit of laugh. You’d need to see my last NGD thread to get the joke though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Excellent choice sir I can hear it from here!
    an AC30 delivers power quite unlike any other amp. Thanks for the vinyl care tip :)
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    Excellent choice sir I can hear it from here!
    an AC30 delivers power quite unlike any other amp. Thanks for the vinyl care tip :)
    It’s a wonderful sound. I suppose in a way it’s filled the void that was always missing with the Marshalls I’ve owned. I have it just on the edge of break up and it’s ringing like a bell
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Happy new amp day! As a fellow admirer of this series, just checking you know about the standby switch...  =)
    tFB Trader
    Cirrus said:
    Happy new amp day! As a fellow admirer of this series, just checking you know about the standby switch...  =)
    .. to flip the power switch and standby switch on together and wait for it to warm up after 30 secs or so? 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Big, huge, too heavy to move type congratulations. There is NOTHING like an AC30 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    edited August 2023
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    For me these are the best-sounding of the modern AC30s, especially with the proper Celestion blue speakers... although the Greenbacks are good too.

The standby switch blowing rectifiers is a known issue, although as Cirrus says the easiest fix is simply to never use it. It is possible to move it to the correct place in the circuit, but it's more work than it might seem at first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• You clean your amps?! :astonished: 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    You clean your amps?! :astonished: 
    More so darken them, I just wanted to make sure I shared a “secret” so as not to offend anyone thinking I don’t cough up my deepest and darkest mysteries in the spirit of the forum ;) 

But on a serious note, autoglym products are superb for cleaning amps :)
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    For me these are the best-sounding of the modern AC30s, especially with the proper Celestion blue speakers... although the Greenbacks are good too.

The standby switch blowing rectifiers is a known issue, although as Cirrus says the easiest fix is simply to never use it. It is possible to move it to the correct place in the circuit, but it's more work than it might seem at first.
    I had read another post by someone that you can switch them on together but it’ll be easier to leave the standby on. 

Oddly enough, I’ve got Wharfdale speakers in mine, although. I’ve been offered some 70s Creambacks for it. I really enjoy how it sounds, nearly to the point that changing the speakers could be a big mistake 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    ICBM said:

I had read another post by someone that you can switch them on together but it’ll be easier to leave the standby on. 

Oddly enough, I’ve got Wharfdale speakers in mine, although. I’ve been offered some 70s Creambacks for it. I really enjoy how it sounds, nearly to the point that changing the speakers could be a big mistake 
    I have the AC15cc model and mine came with the wharfedale speakers. I did end up changing them eventually but I didn't hate the originals. After trying a few I've got a Wgs 'green beret' in it now which I think I've settled on.

Nice amp though, I know someone who gigs with that model AC30 and it does sound great especially at gig volume. 
    tFB Trader
    @Supportact its one of those scenarios - if it isn’t broken.. 

The speakers are fine with me, the amp sounds superb. But I have nothing else to compare them to so maybe a speaker change is worth doing just to see if the Creambacks can add something to the sound.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    @Supportact its one of those scenarios - if it isn’t broken.. 

The speakers are fine with me, the amp sounds superb. But I have nothing else to compare them to so maybe a speaker change is worth doing just to see if the Creambacks can add something to the sound.
    Yeah I'd probably agree, if you like the sound already no need to allter it. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Awesome. I agree these are the best modern AC30s - certainly my favourites. If I had room and the ability to turn it up.. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBM said:

I came to say exactly this about the speakers. Also for me the switch that blends both channels brings a fullness to the sound I've not heard from other AC30s. Have a twiddle with the vintage /modern hot/warm switches at the back. I love my custom classic