Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Valves - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Valves

What's Hot
So where do people get their valves from these days? It’s gotta be 20yrs since I replaced the valves in my Marshalls….
I used to replace them every 2-3 years…with gigging every week and rehearsing every week….but anyways.
Where’s good for quality valves?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    Karltone 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Absolutely Karltone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is gonna cost me so much. 
    2 JVM410 heads. 
    >.<
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Karltone are closed at the moment, according to their website.

I went with Hotrox this week and one of the tubes is rattling. Will report back on how they deal with that next week…
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    tFB Trader
    Anywhere but Watford
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    I’ve used these and all good - https://valvetubeguitaramps.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    This is gonna cost me so much. 
    2 JVM410 heads. 
    >.<
    Mortgage time
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    If they haven’t gone microphonic or noisy, why change them ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The tone in one of the heads has gone thin compared to the other. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The tone in one of the heads has gone thin compared to the other. 
    Don't spend a lot of money before you know you need to.

Take one preamp valve from the 'good' amp. Replace each valve in the 'bad' amp in turn with it, and see if any of them is the problem. If that fixes it, just buy one ECC83/12AX7 to replace that one - you don't need to change any of the others.

If it *doesn't* fix it, swap all the valves between both amps - make a careful note of which positions they all go in and keep to it, just in case there's something position-specific. Don't worry about biasing the power valves at this point, it won't make enough difference to matter for a short test.

If it does fix it, that's where you may decide it's worth replacing them all or at least the power valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    RiftAmps said:
    Anywhere but Watford

Absolutely this.  A bellend of the highest order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    "If it *doesn't* fix it, swap all the valves between both amps - make a careful note of which positions they all go in and keep to it, just in case there's something position-specific. Don't worry about biasing the power valves at this point, it won't make enough difference to matter for a short test."

Yes, ICBM is a bit quicker of the mark than this old duffer! You are in the very rare but fortunate position of having two near identical amps so a systematic swap of the valves should tell you if they are the problem (two decades is not really that long for good pre amp valves BTW)
    Should the "thin" sound not be fixed by a valve, and I have my doubts that it will, I would think in terms of a cap' dropped off or a bad joint.

Dave.
  • ecc83 said:
    "If it *doesn't* fix it, swap all the valves between both amps - make a careful note of which positions they all go in and keep to it, just in case there's something position-specific. Don't worry about biasing the power valves at this point, it won't make enough difference to matter for a short test."

Yes, ICBM is a bit quicker of the mark than this old duffer! You are in the very rare but fortunate position of having two near identical amps so a systematic swap of the valves should tell you if they are the problem (two decades is not really that long for good pre amp valves BTW)
    Should the "thin" sound not be fixed by a valve, and I have my doubts that it will, I would think in terms of a cap' dropped off or a bad joint.

Dave.
    Good point. If I didn’t have my other jvm I’d think it was fine. So yeah possibly a cap or dry joint. I’ll check it out. Thanks to you and icbm. 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    What about Brimar Thermionic Products?  www.brimaruk.com.
  • Dodge said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Anywhere but Watford

What’s the score? I assumed they were a reputable seller as they’ve been in the game for so long.....
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    daveyb27 said:
    Dodge said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Anywhere but Watford

What’s the score? I assumed they were a reputable seller as they’ve been in the game for so long.....
    I'd suggest starting with the intentionally hidden, non inclusive VAT pricing & go from there.
    Others here might have other points to make or experiences to relate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    Anyone have experience with https://www.ampvalves.co.uk/ ?
  • I’ve used them but only once. They quickly delivered a set of valves for my amp…probably too small a sample size to help much. 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    https://www.langrex.co.uk/product-category/valves/

I've had a few valves from these guys and been very pleased with quality and service. HotRox and Karltone also been good for me
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    RiftAmps said:
    Anywhere but Watford
    Wow, I really don't like the guy but to have that opinion validated by a great amp maker just goes to show what a knob end he is. I'd sooner go back to a Helix than buy anything from there again.

I last used valvetubeguitaramps.com and can highly recommend them too. I've had reasonable experiences with HotRox and Langrex also.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• pt22 said:
    Anyone have experience with https://www.ampvalves.co.uk/ ?
    I’ve just have a delivery from them, quick delivery and good price. It’s my first order but I’d use them again.
  • ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Hi Dave. 
    It seems you were correct. Can recommend anyone for fixing it?
  • @ecc83 ;
     ^^

:)

(I forgot to tag you in my initial reply - soz)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    @ecc83 ;
     ^^

Ha! No worries. I don't 'keep count' on any of the forums I infest!

Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    I plugged in an ef86 I got from Watford a few months earlier and the fucker was dead straight from the box.

the vslvetubeguitarsampvalves place has always delivered very promptly though and they’re my first port of call now
  • ecc83 said:
    @ecc83 ;
     ^^

Ha! No worries. I don't 'keep count' on any of the forums I infest!

Dave.
    But still @ecc83 can you recommend anyone to have a look at my amp. :)