Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sticking switch - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sticking switch

What's Hot
pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 237
Hey all

I have a pedal where the switch sticks when pressed and stays down for a while before pinging up again. 

Its not broken (yet) - it switches the effect on and off - but I wouldn't like to use it live or sell it in this condition. 

Its the normal 3pdt type I think although I haven't checked under the hood. I have Googled a solution too but you know it's nice to talk as well.

Any ideas for a fix? Is it possible to get contact cleaner or a lubricant into it somehow or will it just need to be replaced if want to make more use of it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Soak some contact cleaner into it via the gap around the switch plunger.

They're sealed units at the back so there's actually no point in even opening the pedal up until you've tried that and it hasn't worked... but it often does.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    ICBM said:

They're sealed units at the back so there's actually no point in even opening the pedal up until you've tried that and it hasn't worked... but it often does.

And if that cleaner does not work? WD-40!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    ecc83 said:
    ICBM said:

Dave.
    Switch cleaner works better for this as it doesn't leave a residue, WD-40 does.
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 237
    Thanks both. I have some 3 in 1 spray at home I think. But I'll get some contact cleaner first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    JCA2550 said:
    ecc83 said:
    ICBM said:

Dave.
     Its banned in any workshop I manage for that very reason.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    impmann said:
    JCA2550 said:
    ecc83 said:
    ICBM said:

Dave.
     Its banned in any workshop I manage for that very reason.
    Suggested in this instance as a lubricant but I have had little trouble with it for over 50 years but I know some of the 'new boys' are a'gin it!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    WD-40 is worth trying if contact cleaner has been used and failed. It's a shot to nothing at that point because the next step is to replace the switch. In fact, it quite often *does* fix problems that contact cleaner won't - the pots on 1980s Marshalls being a good example. But always try contact cleaner first anyway.

There are a very small number of electronic parts which will definitely be damaged by WD-40 though - the rotary encoders used on a lot of digital gear are one of them. But most won't, and in fact it provides better lubrication than contact cleaner, which can often make pots feel scratchy by washing out too much of the original grease.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Thanks @ICBM will try contact cleaner and then WD40 in that order. Hopefully one will do it. Not sure how much grease those 3dpt switches have or need - i guess they are moving parts but hopefully it's just the accumulation of dust or dirt that can be cleaned out. 

It is a digital pedal but I'll use the wd40 sparingly if it comes to it. As you say I don't need to open up the pedal anyway.

Thanks all. 
    Just in case anyone needs closure on this, the contact cleaner worked a treat and it's working as normal now. Woohoo!