Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Little speaker to put into Bandmaster Reverb head? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Little speaker to put into Bandmaster Reverb head?

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
I've got one of those funny over-sized 1970s Bandmaster Reverb heads, which Internet lore says is just big enough to turn into a combo. I guess it'd be a 6-8-inch speaker. I quite like making up a replacement baffle and trying it out.

Anyone played one? Speaker recommendation?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    You can definitely get two 8"s into them. Probably something like a pair of 8-ohm Jensen C8 or P8s - it needs a 4-ohm total load.

A friend of mine had one of these a long time ago... he blew the output transformer by running it into a 16-ohm Marshall cab. Very rare with Fenders but it can be done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 198
    I too recently got a Bandmaster Reverb (1969) and it's a great amp. Mine has been partly blackfaced and with humbucker it gets dirty from about 3 on the volume! I'm using it with a 2x12 with 1965 Oxford 12T6 speakers. 

The WGS G8C and Jensen C8R are popular choices if you want to turn it into a combo. Check out Rob Robinette's website on his BMR:
    https://robrobinette.com/Silverface_Amp_Mods.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Thanks fellas, that's the info I needed. Will get the old front panel measured up and commission a 2x8 baffle.

Off to check reviews of those speakers...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    A round-up here  - https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/6-for-swapping-8-speaker-review-roundup - recommends the WGS that @Emiel mentioned.

Not listened to the sound clips - will wait to do headphone listening this weekend.
  • I had a pair of WGS 8’s in one of my bandmasters. They sound decent and even gigged with it a couple of times. I think there’s a clip on YouTube I did just recorded through an iPad to give you an idea.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter