Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Celestion V-Type alternatives. - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Celestion V-Type alternatives.

What's Hot
Hello,

I’m a Celestion fan. I currently have a Greenback, Creamback and V-type in three different amps (all combo, open-back).

When turned up, the V-type is the least exciting (it’s in a 15w amp currently). I’m thinking of switching it out to a Greenback (or maybe a creamback and using pedals), but before I do does anyone have any other recommendations for Fender chimes / Marshall drive?

I should add that the V-type also has the least bass response of the three amps. Could do with a little more. 

Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    G12H-30, preferably the Heritage 55Hz model.

Does exactly what you want - clear and bright enough for Fender cleans, chunky and warm enough for Marshall overdrive and with more bottom-end than any of the other three. In my opinion it's the best Celestion speaker ever made.

I don't like the V-Type - boxy and flat-sounding with surprisingly harsh upper-mid.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    G12H-30, preferably the Heritage 55Hz model.

Does exactly what you want - clear and bright enough for Fender cleans, chunky and warm enough for Marshall overdrive and with more bottom-end than any of the other three. In my opinion it's the best Celestion speaker ever made.

I don't like the V-Type - boxy and flat-sounding with surprisingly harsh upper-mid.
    Super!  Thank you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @ICBM I see you your G12H-30 and raise you the G12H-75 Creamback - that thing is utterly perfect for my ears and rig :)
  • @ICBM I see you your G12H-30 and raise you the G12H-75 Creamback - that thing is utterly perfect for my ears and rig :)
    The 75 is a great speaker, but I’m looking forward to trying the 30. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited August 2023
    Don’t discount the Hempback. It’s my current favourite Celestion, and not at all the dull / dark sounding speaker I expected based on other hempcones. In my rig anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Another H75 Creamback fan here - have one in a DSL40 and a JCM800 1x12 mini stack. 

Have previously had one in a Deluxe Reverb and it sounded great in that too. 
  • @ICBM The 55HZ is installed and is a good deal more lively and brighter than I expected. Thanks for your advice!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter