Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). HX Stomp / Effects (or similar) set up query - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

HX Stomp / Effects (or similar) set up query

What's Hot
Hi guys, I am in the process of selling off some pedals, and going to get a multi effects pedal. Most likely a HX Stomp / Effects. (the less cables and pedals on my board, the better!). 
I have been looking at dual expression/volume pedals, as I'd like to, at times, use a volume pedal, or a wah, or use the expression pedal to control delay feedback etc. 
Is it a case that the volume input of the pedal goes to 1 input on the HX, and the expression input of the pedal goes to the expression input, so it will only act as an expression pedal if it assigned to something on the pedal, and will act as a volume pedal always?
Leaning towards the HX Effect so I can stick the drives in one loop and the reverbs and delays in the other loop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Are you ever likely to want to use 2 functions within the same song?  i.e. vol and wah?

I'd be tempted to go for a single expression pedal and have different patches where the pedal acts as either a vol, a wah or to control delay etc.

HX FX would fit the bill (and I know someone who might be putting his up for sale having upgraded to a full-fat Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicwolf said:
    Are you ever likely to want to use 2 functions within the same song?  i.e. vol and wah?

I'd be tempted to go for a single expression pedal and have different patches where the pedal acts as either a vol, a wah or to control delay etc.

HX FX would fit the bill (and I know someone who might be putting his up for sale having upgraded to a full-fat Helix.
    Yep, think I would go for the single expression pedal, sounds like the handiest option.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    The expression pedal on the Pod Go is switchable on the fly between volume, wah or whatever else you want. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    You'd plug the expression pedal into the device (there are two expression pedal sockets on both the Stomp and the FX, I think) and then assign it to a parameter in the patch - so it would be Volume or Way or... any effect parameter or combination of parameters, I think. Someone less lazy than me could get very fancy indeed. There's a block that acts as a Volume pedal, but I don't see why you couldn't control the volume by assigning the expression pedal to an effect gain parameter.
  • Still undecided!
  • @Creed_Clicks  Just seen this... There are a couple of standards for expression pedals. Most manufacturers support the TRS approach. That means the effects unit sends a voltage down one channel and reads the voltage it gets back on the other. It's a good approach because potentiometers vary, and this approach caters for that. The calibration process "self adjusts". 

The Line 6 approach is non-stadard. They use a TR cable and require the pedal to have a 10KOhm pot. In my experience, Line 6 units need the Line 6 pedal to work properly. Mission also makes a pedal that is "Line 6 compatible".

Which is a long-winded way of suggesting you try a Line 6 expression pedal to control volume, wah or whatever else you like (delay time, reverb swell, tremolo speed, etc.). It's light, just works and you'll get a feel for that sort of thing.

Solutions where the pedal is an analogue volume pedal in the signal chain and also an expression in the control chain can be a bit clumsy and hard to manage both successfully. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter