Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). selling my ‘67 JTM50 & Pinstripe - what to replace it with? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

selling my ‘67 JTM50 & Pinstripe - what to replace it with?

What's Hot
Ok, first world problem but I’m moving down the path of selling my 67 jtm50 and 67 pinstripe cab with 20w pre rolas on. I’ve become quite aware how valuable and fragile they are and as I don’t get to use them much as they don’t fit in my house, im thinking now is the time to move them on. They are a delight to own and sound spectacular but for a normal person, a risk in equal measure.

If I wanted to replace them with something modern what options are out there? I don’t gig so I’d probably want something slightly smaller footprint like a 1x12 or 2x12.

the best option I could come up with is to perhaps find a boutique builder to make me some kind of jtm replica.

Thoughts please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Marshall SV20 or the new JTM Studio. 20W with a 5W setting.

You may want to replace the speakers since the matching cabs don’t come with entirely appropriate ones - Heritage G12M-20s would be better - but your budget should be sufficient…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Is it a black flag 50W? Need pictures to make sure you are not winding us up.

If you still want the power you can build a 50w head into a smaller cabinet. If you don't need the power then you could look at the stock Marshall options or other mini Marshall style amps out there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Is it a black flag 50W? Need pictures to make sure you are not winding us up.

If you still want the power you can build a 50w head into a smaller cabinet. If you don't need the power then you could look at the stock Marshall options or other mini Marshall style amps out there

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:

You may want to replace the speakers since the matching cabs don’t come with entirely appropriate ones - Heritage G12M-20s would be better - but your budget should be sufficient…
    A good starter suggestion and I’ll perhaps go and try one. However, the online demos of the jtm studio often seem a bit too bassy and don’t have any of the ‘grind’ I would say. The cleans also don’t seem to sound anywhere near as nice but YouTube isn’t always the best medium for determining. 

I know I’ll never be able to find anything 100% comparable to the real thing but it would be nice if I can find something a bit closer. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Is it a black flag 50W? Need pictures to make sure you are not winding us up.

!
    I find myself wedged under my desk for some inexplicable reason! :astonished: 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited August 2023
    I almost bought a black flag JTM about 15 years ago…I had a few options to choose from and ended up with the DR103, but it gave me a headache when playing it so it didn’t last long. The Cornell plexi 45/50 was quite close, that might be an option?

I remember that stripped-box one. I might have bought it to go with my (at the time) stripped 2061 4x10", but it was annoyingly slightly wider than the cab and looked daft on top of it. Little things...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited August 2023
    @ICBM for some reason I was not wowed by it, I also tried a Superbass at the time and liked that better but it was too expensive.

The Hiwatt 200 was better than the 100 but crushingly heavy :)

Are the gems from that collection all gone now?
  • I almost bought a black flag JTM about 15 years ago…I had a few options to choose from and ended up with the DR103, but it gave me a headache when playing it so it didn’t last long. The Cornell plexi 45/50 was quite close, that might be an option?

Cornell plexi could be a good shout @Moe_ZambeekAre they still current production or secondhand only?

Are the gems from that collection all gone now?
    If not then they've all probably rusted away due to how he stores them :(.

I almost bought a black flag JTM about 15 years ago…I had a few options to choose from and ended up with the DR103, but it gave me a headache when playing it so it didn’t last long. The Cornell plexi 45/50 was quite close, that might be an option?

Cornell plexi could be a good shout @Moe_ZambeekAre they still current production or secondhand only?
    I’ve not kept up with their product range but I haven’t seen one for a while so it may be 2nd hand only now…
    FWIW, a 20W Marshall on 5W setting is still pretty anti-social for home use. Maybe OK if you live in a detached house and no-one in the family wants to listen to the TV.

Are you going to put the amp+cab on consignment with ATB/similar? (If so, please let me know how it goes. I have a '67 JMP + cabs to sell when I can get around to it.)
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

A good starter suggestion and I’ll perhaps go and try one. However, the online demos of the jtm studio often seem a bit too bassy and don’t have any of the ‘grind’ I would say. The cleans also don’t seem to sound anywhere near as nice but YouTube isn’t always the best medium for determining. 

I know I’ll never be able to find anything 100% comparable to the real thing but it would be nice if I can find something a bit closer. 
    If you wanted something that sounded close then going to a really good amp builder that could work through that amp to get the new amp to sound close would be the best bet. I prefer the Black Flag over the JTM45's too but there was some variation with them, so your amp may not be exactly to schematic.

I am surprised Marshall have never re-issued these.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    I'm going to sell my JTM50 soon if anyone's interested. Its not as good as condition as the one shown here (I replaced the gold piping with white around 1983 because......then I lost the back panel.......but it works, has original transformers). I can provide pictures / happy to show anyone in person if interested (I live in Kent not too far from M25 J5/6). 
  • exocet said:
    I'm going to sell my JTM50 soon if anyone's interested. It’s not as good as condition as the one shown here (I replaced the gold piping with white around 1983 because......then I lost the back panel.......but it works, has original transformers). I can provide pictures / happy to show anyone in person if interested (I live in Kent not too far from M25 J5/6). 
    We’re gonna flood the market  ;)
  • I'd be interested in buying any Marshall heads or 4x12's circa 66 to 67. My favourite period for Marshall. PM me with pics and prices. Can't promise I can afford them but am definitely interested. This would be for myself not to sell on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    I have a plexi serial number 11288 (1969??) here that the owner wants to sell, it doesn't have the real OT anymore and the front and back panel are missing the tolex covering. Nice amp but I won't go anywhere near the price he is hoping to get for it.

Gumbothewiddlers amp looks like a great find to anyone wanting one.

^ With that serial number, I'd guess it's more likely from 1968.
  • goldtop said:
    It’s in the 10,000 range and valve rectified. Not sure why you think more likely ‘68? 
    goldtop said:
    It’s in the 10,000 range and valve rectified. Not sure why you think more likely ‘68? 
    I was talking about the amp that @Modulus_Amps mentioned.

• goldtop said:
    goldtop said:
    I was talking about the amp that @Modulus_Amps mentioned.

Ah! In which case you’re probably right.
    tFB Trader
    goldtop said:
    Yes you are probably right, my guess was based off a quick look at amparchives serial numbers vs years. 
    @gumbothewiddler if you have an interest in a Cornell 45/50 I think it could be worthwhile contacting Guitarguitar in Edinburgh…

• Well, the JTM has officially left the building and due to a combination of timing (and my ineptitude) the Cornell 45/50 that @Moe_Zambeek mentioned above has now sold. 

So, now to the chase for something else!