Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). An epic quest has ended - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

An epic quest has ended

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
As of today, I now own every NOW That's What I Call Music! album ever made :).

I've been collecting them for years - I had a couple of the very early ones on cassette back in the day, but lost interest in them. I  started buying current ones on CD with Now 70 when my kids were first getting into music as it was a good way of getting all the chart songs they liked cheaply. Then for some reason I decided to go back in time and pick up the older ones when I found them in charity shops - easy at first, but it gets harder when you've got most of them! I used to have to carry a list of which ones I already had so I didn't buy the same ones again. In the last few years it really tailed off - and the very first few (up to Now 7) were never released on CD, only vinyl and cassette, but luckily someone at EMI spotted a gap in the nostalgia market, and starting at the same time as Now 101, they've re-released them in sequence from the first one, now on CD. I've been able to fill in a few gaps that way, bought a few on Ebay (although not at the daft prices some dealers want, not everything old is worth a fortune) and finally...

Today I bought Now 15 - the very last one I didn't have.

There are still a few which I could do with replacing as the copies I have are a bit rough, but apart from that I'll have to find something else to obsessively look for in every charity shop now ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Congratulations.

How many Bros tracks are there in total? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Congrats on reaching this significant life milestone!

You need to start in it’s sort-of-predecessor, the 70s Top of the Pops albums…

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sporky said:
    Congratulations.

How many Bros tracks are there in total? 
    I don't know! Probably two or three. Not that I'd really want to listen to those... to be honest, there is quite a lot I delete when it's in my iTunes library.

It is actually interesting that the standard proportions of classics/good/forgettable/crap is quite well preserved throughout the whole series though.

Congrats on reaching this significant life milestone!

You need to start in it’s sort-of-predecessor, the 70s Top of the Pops albums…

I actually bought a reissue one on CD not long ago, out of curiosity - it went back to the charity shop the next week. While the talents of the session musicians who were able to learn and reproduce fairly complex arrangements of chart records accurately at the drop of a hat were astonishing, it was still quite horrific when you're at all familiar with the original records.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hey, congrats! I have a few of the first 10 or so. Love em. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Wow! Congratulations.
    I'm equally happy that I have never bought or owned a single 'NOW That's What I Call Music!' album.
    Thankfully, there's enough room here for every opinion to co-exist  :+1: 
    ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    Now 4 was the soundtrack to my early childhood. Ghostbusters, Neverending story, Hello, It's a hard life, Pride (in the name of love), Somebody's watching me. Belters one and all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
    Congratulations! The will and perseverance on display is impressive!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    There’s a bloke on Spotify who’s created a playlist of every Now album. I’m intending to wade through them and hopefully uncover some gems for the band repertoire….
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Wow, interested to know what started the fascination with them?
    Wow, interested to know what started the fascination with them?
    Just buying a few for my kids and realising that there was a fair amount of decent music on them that I wouldn’t want to buy whole albums by the artists to get, and at some point the completist in me got triggered :). They actually give an interesting snapshot of popular music at any given time as well.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    I'd wear out the 'skip' button on my remote pretty quickly I'm afraid to say. Well done though, quite a good achievement. I admire your dedication to the cause.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    blobb said:
    I'd wear out the 'skip' button on my remote pretty quickly I'm afraid to say. Well done though, quite a good achievement. I admire your dedication to the cause.
    The great advantage of loading them all into iTunes is that you can permanently delete the ones you skip.

On the other hand, I'm actually wondering whether I should be more open-minded now I've got the lot, and re-import them from the start and find out if I *really* hate the missing stuff or not... sometimes the passage of time makes me quite like things I couldn't stand back in the day.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    My dad got a taped version of now 1 when we were kids and apparently accidentally wrote the name on the cassette box as “so you think that’s music”.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Now that's what I call collecting - Many years ago I had a 1/2 hearted thought about this but never did anything about it - I think I have one or two vinyl copies
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Wow, that's impressive. 
    Do you have all the derivative now albums like now that's what I call... running/Easy/euro vision etc? 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    ICBM said:
    blobb said:
    The great advantage of loading them all into iTunes is that you can permanently delete the ones you skip.

On the other hand, I'm actually wondering whether I should be more open-minded now I've got the lot, and re-import them from the start and find out if I *really* hate the missing stuff or not... sometimes the passage of time makes me quite like things I couldn't stand back in the day.

Have to say, I went and checked out some track listings and you are right, it's not quite the cheese fest I remember it being originally. I probably draw the line at Jive Bunny though.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Sesh said:
    Wow, that's impressive. 
    Do you have all the derivative now albums like now that's what I call... running/Easy/euro vision etc? 
    No, only 60s No.1s, 70s Hits, Forgotten 70s, 80s and 90s, and Even More Forgotten 80s... and Xmas.

There are too many of the other ones to bother with, and there probably aren't many songs that aren't already on the main ones anyway.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Just looking at it on Wikipedia the number of spin offs is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Into the hundreds of Now compilations  plus market specific ones for the USA, Australia, Poland, France, Greece, Turkey,Japan,etc,etc. Plenty of dvd versions as well. Perhaps when I go on holiday I can look out for a copy of Now Esto si es música I (1984).
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Wow. That's so uncool that's actually quite cool.  

For my nostalgia hit (with world music) I just visit https://radiooooo.com/
  • cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 33
    MrTee said:
    Now 4 was the soundtrack to my early childhood. Ghostbusters, Neverending story, Hello, It's a hard life, Pride (in the name of love), Somebody's watching me. Belters one and all
    What a great eclectic mix of tunes. Don't get that on compilations any more!
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    Now that’s what I call dedication
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I do like compilation albums when working or driving - You get to hear some garbage I know, but equally you come across many tracks you've forgotten about plus tracks that maybe you dismissed 5/10/20 years ago, but now somehow think they are okay - Plus I can go with many different genres for compilations, be it 50's, rock n roll, disco, even country - My fav this week was a 50's jump jive/rock n roll set of about 50 tracks - Some great songs in there
  • Now that's what I call a waste of money! :D