Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NAD - Ampmaker self-build - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NAD - Ampmaker self-build

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
I posted a build thread in the M&M section, but as most people here will wonder why I'm talking about confectionery, I'll post it here too
:D

The "cabinet" is temporary, pending me getting some decent timber to make a real one.

It's the N5X kit from Ampmaker.

I've had a clean 5w valvey for a while (FBJr III), but it's a bit clean.  It's OK with pedals - actually, it's excellent with pedals - but wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Whereas, this is.  It's described as a "British sounding" amp, and if that means overdriven crunchy, then that's what it is.  Beautiful sounds out of it, but very responsive to the guitar's volume control, and the Power control on the LHS dials the power down from 5w to about 0.1w (ie barely audible) without impacting the core sound.  5w is too loud for home use, unless your guitar lead is long enough that you can stand outside whilst the amp is inside.

The Bypass toggle does what it says on the label, and was quite revealing in that it demonstrates how much tone is lost when the signal takes a detour via the Bass/Middle/Treble controls.  I think I'll just leave that on Bypass.  

Not quite as easy to decide what to do with the Boost toggle.  Because in one position it boosts the signal, in another it has no impact, and in the third it boosts the boosts.  Do I want boost, or double boost?
:D

No idea what speaker is in that Marshall cab, which I've had sat waiting for a use for a good long time, but it sounds good enough to my years.

The build process was painless, and easy to complete with the excellent build guide via the website.  Kit was great - everything in there, nothing missing.  

Really enjoyed the build process too.  I'd love to build another one, but I really don't need any more amps, so another build would be a bit pointless.

I'll just have to keep playing through this one instead.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    Is the spare valve socket for a rectifier valve or can you flip between an EL84 and a EL34/6L6/6V6?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    btw.  I was very impressed how you put it together and it worked first time.  It must be really satifying to do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    PhilKing said:
    Is the spare valve socket for a rectifier valve or can you flip between an EL84 and a EL34/6L6/6V6?
    It's the swap option @PhilKing - might be interesting to try out one day, but for now I'm happy with it as-is!!

And thanks - it was indeed *very* satisfying.  Less haste, more speed.  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter