Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who is this bloke covering Little wing? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who is this bloke covering Little wing?

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
Never heard of Sean Mann before. Can anyone fill me in? 

Hell of a version I thought and while obviously influenced, I thought he did a fair bit to land his own stamp on it. Bravo sir
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• greejngreejn Frets: 112
    Yes, that's great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • greejngreejn Frets: 112
    He's on FB. Sean Mann guitar, from North east UK
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Nice tone - Just how I like to hear a Strat - far less gain for most of the track - Some very nice touches

Very dark burst on that Strat -
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Nice sound. Competent playing, but too many notes. I’ve always thought that the attraction of Little Wing is it’s sparseness.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Fantastic playing. But it's a song, not a wank-edging exercise. I kept fast forwarding waiting for the lyrics to see how he balances the emotion of the guitar against the emotion in the lyrics. 

I prefer Aynsley Lister's version. Less pyrotechnics but tons more feeling.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Turned it off after two seconds when he started waving the neck around. *yawn*
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    goldtop said:
    Fantastic playing. But it's a song, not a wank-edging exercise. I kept fast forwarding waiting for the lyrics to see how he balances the emotion of the guitar against the emotion in the lyrics. 

I only have one Ainsley Lister album, but it is incredible playing and wonderfully creative soloing within the blues context. I must get more of his stuff and catch him live.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    OK, so the video - I clicked on it and it said 10 minutes. Well, right off the bat that is way too indulgent for me. If you are going to do an instrumental of the track I'd say 4 mins max! 

Right, with that out of the way, lovely playing and superb stratty tones. I listened for a few minutes, but was never going to do 10! The guitar is a peach, but I have to say that for videos generally I prefer to see the musician than have his head cut off!

Superb guitarist, plays like I want to but way better that I ever achieved.
  • 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    I enjoyed it. But the dude has been watching too many Chris Buck videos ha! Had to give up CB with all the neck waving and shaking he does!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    And after my smart arse comment above, I will say that even though I like Gibsons, these videos make me want to get a Strat.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    And for balance…..

https://youtu.be/br7EOIDl1zU
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    ^ I watched that, but it lacks the energy and production of the first one I heard (Guitarist CD from many years ago).

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    axisus said:
    goldtop said:

I only have one Ainsley Lister album, but it is incredible playing and wonderfully creative soloing within the blues context. I must get more of his stuff and catch him live.
    His live sound is great, the perfect balance of grit, dynamics and clarity for playing this kind of stuff. I’m not sure it entirely translates into the studio. He’s a good argument for having a wet-dry rig (although I appreciate that’s really the least of it). 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I like that. As far as instrumental versions of Little Wing go, I’ve always loved this Michael Landau clip, sweet but raw and when he hits that fuzz……glorious.

https://youtu.be/4-JV5K0C--w
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter