Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). another chopped explorer type build done. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

another chopped explorer type build done.

What's Hot
I built one and liked the shape so i wanted to try a two pickup guitar, bit more routing, bit more complex wiring etc.

I also wanted to try making a template first and then make the body with that...

what i learned on this one... that if you don't understand how grain in wood works you make a right old mess of a body, but it gives you an opportunity to learn how to fix your mistakes. Body is a bit of elm off ebay.

neck is a squire neck off ebay.

thanks to @ICBM (again!) and @impmann for help on the wiring. 
it's got a kent armstrong 'two in one pickup' and and creamery gold foil. Push/pull on the tone so a few options. 

not one for the relic haters...

and with the other one...

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Cool shape :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    @Winny_Pooh more than a little "inspired" / ripped off  ben wasser guitars. (make me want one of his even more!

and...

Eric Claptons chopped explore

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    i restored a home made job once.  It had suffered 3 headstock breaks and been left as a wall hanger, was also built with no neck angle, but i got it working reasonably well with a shaved bridge

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Ooh... I'm not really an explorer fan but I like the look of that.

Glad that KA has got a home. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

@WezV I like it - (mine was supposed to be a natural finish... but my it didn't quite go to plan)

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    I think the green one is a d@mn cool looking thing. I'm still coming to terms with the big Fender headstock admittedly, but the body looks great :)

Gotta ask - did taking a chunk of body off at the back like that give it the dreaded neck-dive tendency ?
    @AK99 i'm kinda with you on the fender headstocks... but you can pick them up cheap on ebay so needs must! (i have no skills to make a neck)

No neck dive on this one.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I really like those!

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    edited August 2023
    markblack said:
    @AK99 i'm kinda with you on the fender headstocks... but you can pick them up cheap on ebay so needs must! (i have no skills to make a neck)
    macmull-heartbreaker-p90-relic-blonde-1455273

True, but with just a little more deployment of the bandsaw,  you could have something like this  at the pointy end maybe ?  
  • Stellar! How do you like those Descendant bridges?
    @citesquestion i like them, they are well made, nice and solid. My builds are pretty basic so i wanted a top loading bridge to avoid the hassle of string tru drilling. I also like the look of them. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    I really dig that shape, it's an Iceman with Explorer edges. I've owned both of those so a combo really appeals to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I saw a few of your builds and they are always really quite interesting