Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bogner Ecstasy - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bogner Ecstasy

What's Hot
Dan5150Dan5150 Frets: 18
Basically, I’m trying to talk myself out of hunting out a 101B, it’s been on my dream list for ages and GAS has kicked in again. It’s serious money and I’m unlikely to be able to try one ahead of taking the plunge due to their rarity over here. My current main squeeze is the CAA PT100 which kills so am I just being silly?  =)

Who’s owned one? Did you flog it or keep it? Pros / Cons? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 315
    I've owned the 20th Anniversary for 11 years.  My favourite amp of all time - genuinely does every genre exceptionally well (save perhaps extreme metal, but it'll get there with a boost).  I would say that you have to enjoy the Bogner lower-mid "chewiness" - think Jerry Cantrell's tone - to really get on with it.  If you do, it's genuinely jack of all trades, master of all.

The 101B is supposed to have a "better" blue channel and a "worse" red channel than the 20th, but these are all shades of excellence.  

A final word: the Ecstasy has Marshall DNA, but it isn't a Marshall - it doesn't have that upper mid grind in the same way (though decent high mids can be dialed in).  It's a much more refined beast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    (Also - I note that there are two for sale in the UK at the moment for sub-£3k, which is decent...not to tempt you or anything!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 157
    I've owned both...

XTC - average clean, stellar plexi, don't like the Bogner gain channel.
    CAA - clean as good as any I've played, gain better than Bogner but still not there for me.

I then went to Friedman and if I was after that kind of amp, that's where I'd be spending my money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Get a Fender amp and a couple of Bogner pedals :D
    Schmo said:
    I've owned both...

CAA - clean as good as any I've played, gain better than Bogner but still not there for me.

I then went to Friedman and if I was after that kind of amp, that's where I'd be spending my money.

I have the BE-100 DLX too and agree they're incredible.  However, very very dissimilar to the Ecstasy in my view, completely different tonal emphasis (Friedman: refined hot-rodded Marshall; Bogner: Marshall DNA, but chewy low-mid grind emphasis).  I love both for different things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Schmo said:
    I've owned both...

Agree.

I've had a CAA PT50 for about 15 years and I love it.
    The XTC is a great sound but I prefer the PT50 and the cleans are fantastic.
    It also has the best loop of any amp I have used.

If I was going to replace the CAA (I'm not) or add something else in then it would be a Friedman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I know it's not the same but my Bogner Mini Head is great for scratching that itch at home volumes.

• Dan5150Dan5150 Frets: 18
    spirit7 said:
    I've owned the 20th Anniversary for 11 years.  My favourite amp of all time - genuinely does every genre exceptionally well (save perhaps extreme metal, but it'll get there with a boost).  I would say that you have to enjoy the Bogner lower-mid "chewiness" - think Jerry Cantrell's tone - to really get on with it.  If you do, it's genuinely jack of all trades, master of all.

The 101B is supposed to have a "better" blue channel and a "worse" red channel than the 20th, but these are all shades of excellence.  

A final word: the Ecstasy has Marshall DNA, but it isn't a Marshall - it doesn't have that upper mid grind in the same way (though decent high mids can be dialed in).  It's a much more refined beast.
    Great input, I think I’m moving away from the Marshall voicing in search of something a bit smoother and more refined. I was thinking that low mid Bogner thing would maybe tick the box. However, I’m basing this on never having played an Ecstasy and odd poorly recorded clips online!

Thanks for the reply!  
    Schmo said:
    I've owned both...

I do love the Friedman stuff! I’m just looking for something different to the Marshall DNA. A bit less fizz and more grunt. Smoother for lack of a better term. I find myself rolling off a lot of top end on the PT. I agree the CAA is absolutely the best clean I’ve played to date.

Out of curiosity, have you played other Bogners? Was it the XTC you didn’t jive with or just not a fan of the Bogner voicing? 
    edited August 2023
    p90fool said:
    I know it's not the same but my Bogner Mini Head is great for scratching that itch at home volumes.

It was on my mind but I think I’d have to get the new 50w version which is basically the same money as a used 101b until they filter down into the used market. 
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 157
    Dan5150 said:
    Schmo said:
    I've owned both...

I do love the Friedman stuff! I’m just looking for something different to the Marshall DNA. A bit less fizz and more grunt. Smoother for lack of a better term. I find myself rolling off a lot of top end on the PT. I agree the CAA is absolutely the best clean I’ve played to date.

Out of curiosity, have you played other Bogners? Was it the XTC you didn’t jive with or just not a fan of the Bogner voicing? 
    I've played a Shiva but no other Bogners...I do hugely respect the brand and Reinhold, absolute legend...but the voicing of the XTC gain channel was just not to my liking...conversely the Plexi channel was immense !

What I've learned is...if you covet that modded Marshall tone, get an old Marshall, an attenuator and whatever flavour of boost and its right there. Otherwise Friedman has it all in his range and 3rd Power is killer too.

Just my 2 cents...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited August 2023
    If you're looking for modded Marshall but smoother/thicker, give the Jubilee a try. Not boutique or fancy but it does that sound and it's the real thing! Only thing is it does need to be loud to thicken up/take away the fizz, and for that reason I prefer the 20w version. Sounds great for heavier stuff with a boost too  
    I don’t think he is looking for modded Marshall (and I agree if he is, Bogner isn’t it - very much its own thing).
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Dan5150 said:
    spirit7 said:

Great input, I think I’m moving away from the Marshall voicing in search of something a bit smoother and more refined. I was thinking that low mid Bogner thing would maybe tick the box. However, I’m basing this on never having played an Ecstasy and odd poorly recorded clips online!

Thanks for the reply!  
    Like a Soldano maybe?

• ljsljs Frets: 48
    spirit7 said:

Same here. I own both the 101B and the 20th 101A. I concur that the red Chanel is more to my liking on the 20th, where it feels like it’s starts at a lower gain point than on the 101B. 

I think the Bogners are my favorite modern amps with the SLO100. 

I also have the 20th 101A.  Just...what an amp.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 331
    Dan5150 said:
    spirit7 said:

Thanks for the reply!  
    Like a Soldano maybe?

Was going to suggest soldano also. The slo100 is one of the best drive sounds I’ve ever heard. The clean/crunch channel is very nice too
    edited August 2023
    Perhaps I need to have another look at Soldano, I wasn’t a massive fan of the SLO I tried many years ago but could have been a number of factors. 

Thanks for the feedback and info from the guys that own or have owned the Ecstasy. Still sorely tempted! 

Cheers all. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    A good JCM800 with an Fx loop and some choice pedals will slay a 101b. 

I know because I did it. 

Had both. Much happier with the 800. It’s still with me years later. 

• leerockerleerocker Frets: 591
    edited August 2023
    I only liked the blue channel plexi mode on the 101b and 20th anni , didn't like the fx loops either on them , I have a Be100 Deluxe and that has ended any gas for another amp its just on another level.  I would like to get the new SS100 but not at £4600!
  • ljsljs Frets: 48
    markr76 said

Was going to suggest soldano also. The slo100 is one of the best drive sounds I’ve ever heard. The clean/crunch channel is very nice too
    Best channel on the SLO100. People think it’s the high gain but it’s not.