Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Next Helix update speculation (sorry!) - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Next Helix update speculation (sorry!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• willowillo Frets: 240
    willo said:
    A metronome
    An input output jack on the side
    Global buttons for noise gate and EQ
    More pre-amp pedals (Echoplex, the Roland Chorus one etc)
    Ability to rename the amps and pedals like it's Pro Evo
    Level meter...please please please make it easier to get consistent levels across patches
    Simplify the idiosyncratic model-specific controls, or have an option to do this
    Expandable memory slot for the looper 

Anyway they started sourcing feedback from users about six months ago. A new Helix is probably 3 or 4 years away. 
    I think the thread is referring to software updates. But interesting to think something 'better' might be in the works. 

What's your beef with the delay?
    Sorry, what do you mean? I might be having a major brain fog here, apologies if I'm missing something!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • willo said:
    willo said:
    A metronome
    Level meter...please please please make it easier to get consistent levels across patches
    Simplify the idiosyncratic model-specific controls, or have an option to do this

Anyway they started sourcing feedback from users about six months ago. A new Helix is probably 3 or 4 years away. 
    I think the thread is referring to software updates. But interesting to think something 'better' might be in the works. 

Sorry, what do you mean? I might be having a major brain fog here, apologies if I'm missing something!
    So I think the speculation is about which models will be in the next software update for the current line of Helix/HX models. For example last time around there was a Russian Big Muff added. V.3.0 brought all the Poly models with it. 

I think - if like you say development may already be underway for a replacement - speculation about that would certainly warrant its own thread!!

The current stuff is, as far as I'm concerned, way better that previous generations of modelling, would be interesting to see where it goes next!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The last few updates have been great. I'm using Native at home and a Stomp with the band but feel like I'm still only just scratching the surface after about 4 years. I used the harmonic tremolo with my old JCM900 for the first time the other night and it was heavenly. I really like the Pillars drive pedal too.

It's an incredible piece of gear imo - I'm not sure what a replacement unit would have to do to supersede it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• willowillo Frets: 240
    willo said:
    willo said:
    A metronome

So I think the speculation is about which models will be in the next software update for the current line of Helix/HX models. For example last time around there was a Russian Big Muff added. V.3.0 brought all the Poly models with it. 

I think - if like you say development may already be underway for a replacement - speculation about that would certainly warrant its own thread!!

The current stuff is, as far as I'm concerned, way better that previous generations of modelling, would be interesting to see where it goes next!
    Ah, gotcha. Well, I think anything new is years away and I'm not quite sure what technical leap would need to happen to make it a worthwhile upgrade over the current platform!

As for the next patch upgrade, I'd definitely like to see more boosts. I know they aren't the most characterful pedals but there's clear differences between, say, an LPB1, a Super Hard On, and a Catalinbread Picoso, and I'd love to see more options on the Helix for sure.

Also - anything to further optimise the DSP!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    A reverse reverb. Although moot given my HXFX has a broken USB port.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Which wires and attachments would be needed to use an HX Stomp and regular amp?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    ewal said:
    A reverse reverb. 
    And a gated reverb. I loved the gated reverb on my Boss ME-5.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A good gated reverb and gated reverse would be a huge thing to have. Been experimenting with Multitap 6 as a simple reverse reverb and it's actually got something. If it were a Multitap 12, I think you'd end up with something quite close to the whole MBV reverse gate sound. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited September 2023
    Which wires and attachments would be needed to use an HX Stomp and regular amp?
    You could use it just like a regular pedal straight into the front with all the amp stuff disengaged. 

If said amp had an FX loop you you stick the output of the Stomp into the FX loop return and run any preamp model you like (so it wouldn't emulate the power section nor speaker cab) from the Helix directly into your amplifier's power section. 

You could then pretend the HX was a channel switching amp and toggle between two preamps, put any gain FX blocks before the preamp models and delays/modulation/reverbs after them (As if they were in the FX Loop)

Hopefully that makes sense!
  • If you're running the power amp very clean it's often better to run the full Helix model rather than the preamp. But the great thing is there's no right or wrong way, just try stuff and go with whatever sounds best to you. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A good gated reverb and gated reverse would be a huge thing to have. Been experimenting with Multitap 6 as a simple reverse reverb and it's actually got something. If it were a Multitap 12, I think you'd end up with something quite close to the whole MBV reverse gate sound. 
    Probably a model of one of the 80s Gated Rack verbs 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    A good gated reverb and gated reverse would be a huge thing to have. Been experimenting with Multitap 6 as a simple reverse reverb and it's actually got something. If it were a Multitap 12, I think you'd end up with something quite close to the whole MBV reverse gate sound. 
    I would very much like some pointers on how to set that up pleasethankyou. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."