Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender 800 SX - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender 800 SX

What's Hot
mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 472
edited August 2023 in Acoustics
Hi, I unearthed this recently, bought new in mid 90s. Anyone any idea if it's worth anything? Cheers 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
     Are you asking it's value to see if it's worth a set of strings?  =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Ah the famous Fender Silent Guitar - Yamaha copied it but made it better
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That's a guitar I can't possibly sound bad on! =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023
    I didn't know the model, but a quick search reveals that it seems to be much rarer and probably better than the typical Korean-made 90s Fenders.

Is it a solid top? Or (harder to tell) back and sides?

Unfortunately, whatever it is it will be worth about half what it should be, because acoustic snobs* don't like Fenders.

(*I apologise to anyone offended by this, but while it's true that not all Fender acoustics are good, most of them are nowhere near as bad as they're usually tarred - often roughly equivalent to Yamahas, which never seem to get the same bad press. In fact, if this one is made in Taiwan it might even *be* a Yamaha, to all intents and purposes.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Interesting, yes it's Taiwanese and it's a spruce top. Couldn't find any other details myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    Don't know what it might be worth but I had a very similar one in the early 80's and it wasn't half bad. Enjoyed it for some years before moving on.
  • And.. sold to a forum member!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    So we'll see it again in a NGD post...... ;)

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    So paint me as an "acoustic snob". I've played quite a few Fender acoustics and (with rare exceptions) they vary between poor and mediocre. 

This one is old enough to have been made somewhere decent. The Taiwanese made some lovely guitars in that era. Certainly worth putting a set of strings on it. 
  • Tannin said:
    So paint me as an "acoustic snob". I've played quite a few Fender acoustics and (with rare exceptions) they vary between poor and mediocre. 

This one is old enough to have been made somewhere decent. The Taiwanese made some lovely guitars in that era. Certainly worth putting a set of strings on it. 
    Now then I would sound bad on it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter