Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone using the Kemper powered kabinet ? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone using the Kemper powered kabinet ?

What's Hot
I am considering the Kemper stage + powered kabinet but was wondering what experience people here have with the latter.

the alternative would be a power amp to my 12” speaker (which hitch can double on a different pedalboard based rig I guess).

thank you 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1555
    I borrowed one off a mate and messed around with it with my Stage for a bit. It was really good and would buy it from him should he sell it. 

For stuff that would normally roar through a 4x12 it sounded like a good monitor. The sound was great but, naturally, isn’t a substitute in the room for the real thing.

However, for stuff that would normally go through a similar 1x12 like a Princeton or Tweedy thing it was fantastic. It really did sound like the amp you were using a profile of in the room.

I guess that’s kind of expected - ask it to replace something similar in the room like a deluxe reverb and it’s bloody close. Ask it to replace some sort of stack and it’s obviously not going to get as close… although still sounded more convincing that the Yamaha monitor I used to use.  

He said it struggles a bit with the band which surprised me as it seemed to have loads of volume. Although wouldn’t be an issue on a small band or at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • melodmelod Frets: 134
    Thank you for the info. It really helps.

I am trying to decide between Kemper and QC but I do like the fact Kemper have solutions (like the powered kabinet ) on how to actually output their profilers sound.

With any other modeller I need to figure out power amps/speakers etc. Still on the fence, though, between the two.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1555
    Some of the guys on here use a power amp like the Seymour Duncan Powerstage (which fits on a pedal board) then a regular guitar cab which, by all accounts, gets you basically there with regards to making it sounds like a real amp. Intent to give it a go myself at some point in the near future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    edited August 2023
    I've used a Kemper Powered Cab for the last three years with my Stage.

It's brill, sounds like a cab on stage and I've had no desire to change to anything else.

If you're anywhere near Hertfordshire then happy for you to have a go..

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    I have a kemper with a 1u power amp and a pair of Kemper Kones in a Zilla 2x12 

The speaker imprints are very good and its allowing me to go ampless

My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    If you are choosing between the QC and the Kemper they are different in more ways than one.

Here's my top of head evaluation in no particular order:

QC
    - immature product with fairly limited range of effects/models (compared to the competition)
    - fantastic user interface, my creativity and pace has increased a huge amount with it v the kemper
    - can profile drive pedals and run multi-amps (kemper can't)
    - models are very usable and easy to set up (best of both worlds of capture and modelling?)
    - development has been slower than promised
    - can run multiple instruments simultaneously with independent effects path

Kemper
    - physical knobs (generally a positive thing)
    - lots of buttons and menus to remember (positive and negative)
    - a lot of i/o (but QC is almost as good)
    - mature ecosystem of profiles and hardware
    - very tweakable profiles and effects
    - no 'models'
    - computer editor (but I would say you don't really need one on the QC unless it lives permanently on the floor)
    - iphone/ipad editor (not even scheduled on the QC yet)
    - setting it up for gigs/setlists can be a bit tricky (super easy on the QC)

I'm not sure of the summary, but I have to say I really like the QC a lot. It's so easy to think of a sound and then set it up in one minute. The whole thing depends on what is important to you.

Probably a bunch of other pros/cons that I can't think of right now. Good luck!
    I'd add 

Kemper IEC Mains cable

QC 12v Dc power brick
    My Trading Feedback

• melodmelod Frets: 134
    allen said:
    If you are choosing between the QC and the Kemper they are different in more ways than one.

Here's my top of head evaluation in no particular order:

QC
    - immature product with fairly limited range of effects/models (compared to the competition)
    - fantastic user interface, my creativity and pace has increased a huge amount with it v the kemper
    - can profile drive pedals and run multi-amps (kemper can't)
    - models are very usable and easy to set up (best of both worlds of capture and modelling?)
    - development has been slower than promised
    - can run multiple instruments simultaneously with independent effects path

Kemper
    - physical knobs (generally a positive thing)
    - lots of buttons and menus to remember (positive and negative)
    - a lot of i/o (but QC is almost as good)
    - mature ecosystem of profiles and hardware
    - very tweakable profiles and effects
    - no 'models'
    - computer editor (but I would say you don't really need one on the QC unless it lives permanently on the floor)
    - iphone/ipad editor (not even scheduled on the QC yet)
    - setting it up for gigs/setlists can be a bit tricky (super easy on the QC)

I'm not sure of the summary, but I have to say I really like the QC a lot. It's so easy to think of a sound and then set it up in one minute. The whole thing depends on what is important to you.

Probably a bunch of other pros/cons that I can't think of right now. Good luck!
    This is really useful.

for me, form factor is important as well as the fact the QC could double up as audio interface.

I am much more keen on the Kemper ecosystem, though, and I feel that deep inside I just want Kemper to refresh their product and go with that . However, it seems that will happen when you least expect it.

Are there big differences in terms of feel?

p.s. had the Hx stomp shortly and disliked it , although it is an extremely useful tool.

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    nero1701 said:
    I'd add 

Kemper IEC Mains cable

QC 12v Dc power brick
    The Kemper also had proper SPDIF and related routing options. It may not mean much for many but it's a big plus for anyone with an established studio.

Also recently introduced by the latest Kemper update is the ability to use it as a USB audio interface.
    A really useful feature would be a few 9v out sockets for pedals in the effects loop. (Tc electronics g system does this)
    My Trading Feedback

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Laney do a powered full range cabinet for considerably less money than the Kemper and from what I've read online it seems to be highly regarded. It's certainly used by a fair few Kemper owners.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    Laney do a powered full range cabinet for considerably less money than the Kemper and from what I've read online it seems to be highly regarded. It's certainly used by a fair few Kemper owners.
    I've owned one, I returned it to thonman, I found it sounded very artificial.
    My Trading Feedback

• NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    nero1701 said:
    equalsql said:
    I've owned one, I returned it to thonman, I found it sounded very artificial.
    These the ones that Guthrie is now using live?
  • Stage and Powered Kab has been my rig for when I can’t use IEM’s since the Powered Kab came out. The speaker sims work really well, it’s very responsive in FRFR mode and is well loud enough to keep up with a medium sized band or used as a Stage monitor. If you’re thinking Kemper (And you should be) it’s the best one out there. 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3162
    I have 2 Kemper Kabs from my stage. Absolutely awesome...