Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 5751 Preamp valves - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

5751 Preamp valves

What's Hot
ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 295
I recently came across an old stash of tubes that were in storage for around 15 years. 

Amongst the treasures were a bunch of new Jan Philips 5751’s. I don’t remember what I was going for at the time, but remembered getting them really cheap from the US.

Are they suitable to use as a 12ax7 replacement? I currently have a two rock studio signature, burnside (tweed 6v6 circuit), and a divided by 13 JJN50/100 (plexi circuit).

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• manimani Frets: 10
    A bit less gain on those than 12ax7 according to this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 2872
    I used to use one in the V1 position of an Engl powerball years ago to help tame the distortion a bit. Sounded pretty good to my ears
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They are brilliant in the PRS MT15 to make the gain control more usable. Swap out V3 for one of these and it tames the lead channel and gives a broader range of usable gain on the pot. A stock MT15 you would rarely need to go above about 2 out of 10 on that channel! Highly recommended for anyone with an MT15 or any amp that has cascading stages in the lead channel that "don't apply in real life!".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yes, they are a direct replacement for a 12AX7/ECC83. They have slightly less gain, and a smoother tone.

I don't like that smooth tone - but many people do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Might be cool in the first position of the tweed deluxe circuit if it doesn't already have a 12au7 in (I use a philips JAN 5814a in mine).

If you'd like to clear space of any spares I'd be interested to try it in my Marshally amp.
  • I've used 5751s for years. In almost every amp I've owned I preferred the sound. I even use them for reverb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I use a 5751 in my Cornell Romany plus (V1)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    ICBM said:
    Yes, they are a direct replacement for a 12AX7/ECC83. They have slightly less gain, and a smoother tone.

Yeah same here. I tried one in my VHT Special 6 and I took it right out again (just a Sovtek, maybe the NOS ones are better). IIRC it just kind of made it sound like I'd turned the volume down about two notches, and it was a bit smoother-sounding like you said. 
  • I've used them in a few amps to tame the dirt and give more dynamic range when the amp has been too full-on from the off. 

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    Sounds like I could use one.
  • Thanks for the insight, sounds like they might be a good fit for my Divided by 13, which can get very woolly. 

If it doesn’t work out @Winny_Pooh i will let you know. 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    edited August 2023
    ICBM said:

I tried one in V3 of my Bassman 50 Export - It was OK but I wasn't overly impressed  . . .  . . On a SF 70's Bassman, V3 is the "V1" for the Normal channel and it just sounded "Crisper and more responsive" with the 12AX7  installed . . .  

That said, in the Hoffman I had before it calmed down an overly bright Vibrato Channel . . . 

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  !