Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Hal Leonard Jazz Guitar Fake Book - Volume 1 - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Hal Leonard Jazz Guitar Fake Book - Volume 1

duotoneduotone Frets: 885
edited August 2023 in Theory
I’ve been meaning to get a Jazz Real/Fake Book for years & finally got around to buying myself a copy.  

I really want to improve my sight reading skills (currently play it safe using the first 5 frets) & learn some songs while I am doing it. 

This video I watched a while ago by Rotem Sivan, encouraged me.

Initially I have flicked through the book & made a list of what songs I would like to learn to start with.

Song / Page No.
Autumn Leaves / 9
Cute / 60
Georgia On My Mind / 88
In Your Own Sweet Way / 158
Is You Is, Or Is You Ain’t (My Baby) / 160
Moon River / 232
My Foolish Heart / 240
On The Sunny Side Of The Street / 272
Route ‘66 / 286
Satin Doll / 290
Stella By Starlight / 314
Stompin’ At The Savoy / 318
Take Five / 332
Tea For Two / 336

I’m sure I will have a lot of questions & I’ll let you know how I get on!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Best of luck!  I have no sight-reading skills (and no plans to acquire any at my age!) but I know a lot of the tunes and wouldn't mind sussing out the chords.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    Back in the day I found Fred Noad's book - Solo Guitar Playing useful for learning to sight read progressively up the neck. I also took some lessons with a piano teacher which helped with counting & rhythm etc. The problem is most of the stuff I want to play, tends to come with tab and I've never really made much progression since then. Good luck with The Real Book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • greejngreejn Frets: 112
    Any questions on the chords, let me know. I play most of those tunes.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Thanks @Nitefly ;

@BigLicks67 Is it this book? 
    https://archive.org/details/SoloGuitarPlayingFrederickM.Noad/mode/2up?view=theater Looks like it could be very useful. Lots of repetition & exercises to get it to sink in. Also good advice & what Rotem Sivan also said “Try not to look at the fretboard, while reading & playing”

Cheers @greejn Will be asking if I’m stuck or think something is wrong. This book actually has the chord diagrams, which is great for a jazz beginner.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    duotone said:
    Thanks @Nitefly ;

@BigLicks67 Is it this book? https://archive.org/details/SoloGuitarPlayingFrederickM.Noad/mode/2up?view=theater Looks like it could be very useful. Lots of repetition & exercises to get it to sink in. Also good advice & what Rotem Sivan also said “Try not to look at the fretboard, while reading & playing”

Cheers @greejn Will be asking if I’m stuck or think something is wrong. This book actually has the chord diagrams, which is great for a jazz beginner.

That's the one, that looks like an old copy. It is still in print and can be bought new from Amazon.
  • I've had a copy for years and I keep on dipping into it to try and nail the odd tune or two  but I recently got a copy of the "Real Dixieland Book". I've found that a lot more handy terms of tunes that I know. Don't be put off by the "Dixieland" bit...if Tin Pan Alley is more your thing than be-bop, then this is a great book...depending on your age, you might be surprised at how many familiar classic tunes are in this book!