Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Messing around with an old mixer, with mixed results - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Messing around with an old mixer, with mixed results

What's Hot
SparksSparks Frets: 22
edited August 2023 in FX
I was messing around with this old mixer (£24.99 at Tandy, according to the box) and trying to mix different fuzzes, but the level was really low. Is that because this is a line level thing and not at all right for the job? Was just idly experimenting and had it to hand.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Wrong signal level and impedance, if it’s designed for microphones. It’s likely to be low impedance, which will kill the signal coming out of the fuzz, and only amplify it back up to mic level. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Wrong signal level and impedance, if it’s designed for microphones. It’s likely to be low impedance, which will kill the signal coming out of the fuzz, and only amplify it back up to mic level. 
    NERRRRRDDDDDD!!!!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SparksSparks Frets: 22
    Would something to do this job be hard to find/expensive? Another problem-solver type pedal from Bright Onion maybe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Have you checked out the EHX parallel mixer pedal? 
  • SparksSparks Frets: 22
    I haven't. Looks like that or the one from Old Blood Noise might be the best bet though?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    DesVegas said:
    ICBM said:
    NERRRRRDDDDDD!!!!
    Perhaps, but he is also correct.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1170
    Sparks said:
    I haven't. Looks like that or the one from Old Blood Noise might be the best bet though?
    I much preferred this https://www.dpeffects.com/p/blenders-mixers.html?m=1 to the OBNE. Better headroom and dynamic range.