Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fusion Licks in Dorian Mode - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fusion Licks in Dorian Mode

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    ddlooping said:
    viz said:
    He's been playing rigidly in the ionion mode throughout the solo.
    a) I didn't know Apple was making vegetable substitutes?
    b) the mode that makes you cry if you over-analyse it?  
    viz said:
    ...when he suddenly repeats the shape of 5:51, except 1 fret up, so it's completely out of key...
    Not knowing the studio version it sounded more like a mistake to me.  :-S 

a) haha! spotted!

b) haha :)

c) I hope that was a joke.

:)

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • viz said:
    ddlooping said:
    viz said:
    He's been playing rigidly in the ionion mode throughout the solo.
    a) I didn't know Apple was making vegetable substitutes?
    b) the mode that makes you cry if you over-analyse it?  
    viz said:
    ...when he suddenly repeats the shape of 5:51, except 1 fret up, so it's completely out of key...
    Not knowing the studio version it sounded more like a mistake to me.  :-S 

a) haha! spotted!

b) haha :)

c) I hope that was a joke.

Where is me LOL then? :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Barney

Don't apologise, it's great stuff, that plus Larry Carlton and Co and you realise the magnitude of the task ahead.

;)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @ddlooping oh all right!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    edited September 2013
    "B Dorian Scale" :/   He lost my interest there.

Guthrie's Pirate modes video nails the concept.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • @ddlooping

I've used Quist's backing tracks a lot, they are great and among the best out there. I don't recall seeing much of the name "Quist" on the unmentionable place, unless he used a different username and the regulars just knew it was him????

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • @ddlooping

I've used Quist's backing tracks a lot, they are great and among the best out there. I don't recall seeing much of the name "Quist" on the unmentionable place, unless he used a different username and the regulars just knew it was him????

Maybe Quist wasn't his username there, I can't remember. :)
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    i think all the comments about borrowing notes from other modes are correct. having watched some other vid of his about playing outside, the way I think he approaches it is by using what Is called side slipping which is moving up or down a half step and then resolving back to position. it works 'cause of all the explanations above and imho it's generally a way to create tension without thinking about all the theory behind what works and why. re the #7 and b9, I d look at it as implying some altered dominant, the V particularly. It's a common trick over static vamps. I don't have enough data left on my phone to watch the full vid so feel free to FP me if I m talking BS

Brgrds,
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2013
    Jalapeno said:
    "B Dorian Scale" :/   He lost my interest there.

I take your point but with the sound off this video looks remarkably like the 'manifesto' video someone makes before going postal - and look at that guy, he looks a real candidate - that alone kept me hooked.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @ddlooping

Probably, IDK. I wasn't being sarcy there, it may have looked that way, sorry. It's just some forum members know who each other are on different places or at least I thought they did.

Catthan said:
    i think all the comments about borrowing notes from other modes are correct. having watched some other vid of his about playing outside, the way I think he approaches it is by using what Is called side slipping which is moving up or down a half step and then resolving back to position. it works 'cause of all the explanations above and imho it's generally a way to create tension without thinking about all the theory behind what works and why. re the #7 and b9, I d look at it as implying some altered dominant, the V particularly. It's a common trick over static vamps. I don't have enough data left on my phone to watch the full vid so feel free to FP me if I m talking BS

Brgrds,

Side slipping - exactly, ah a great descriptive name for it. In fact you can also do it just by pressing the whammy bar down a semitone while you play in the original key for a second or 2, then let it back up again - a great effect.
  • @ddlooping

Probably, IDK. I wasn't being sarcy there, it may have looked that way, sorry. It's just some forum members know who each other are on different places or at least I thought they did.

A perfectly reasonable question, I didn't see it as sarcy at all. :)
  • @ddlooping

Must just be how I read it back to myself, Lol.

• It all comes back to the "blue note".  That one note that isn't in the scale but if you hit just the right note at the right time, it's magic.  This is what blues players call it but it can and does apply to any genre.  Never discount a note because it's not in the scale, if it sounds right, it is right.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited September 2013
    Hi I'm looking for something sarcastic to say to someone wearing a pale blue anorak, with green corduroy trousers and brown brogues, on a Tuesday inside the snug bar of an old pub (privately owned) - ideally the thing I want to say should be about not mixing dungeon and dragons games with gin and the children concieved of such an event... I'd like it to be about 2 sentences long with no words longer than 3 sylables in them. Also it should sound utterly original and unplanned.

I did think of starting my own thread to ask for it, but I figured it wasn't too much of a hi-jack to ask in this thread.

thanks in advance.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    Sorry mate - if it were a franchised pub I'd be able to help but I don't know much about independent pubs.
  • frankus said:
    Hi I'm looking for something sarcastic to say to someone wearing a pale blue anorak, with green corduroy trousers and brown brogues, on a Tuesday inside the snug bar of an old pub (privately owned) - ideally the thing I want to say should be about not mixing dungeon and dragons games with gin and the children concieved of such an event... I'd like it to be about 2 sentences long with no words longer than 3 sylables in them. Also it should sound utterly original and unplanned.

I did think of starting my own thread to ask for it, but I figured it wasn't too much of a hi-jack to ask in this thread.

thanks in advance.

Squatter! ;-)

Regarding your mate in the Pub. If he wears clothes like that, you should probably take pity on him. One comment could push him over the edge, the poor sap.

• The problem with this video, and plenty of others on YouTube is that he doesn't put these licks into context. It's just him playing licks, there's no harmonic backing so you can hear how the lick and the harmony interact.

I'm not anti American, just more pro hurricane
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    I don't know why he calls them Dorian licks. It's misleading.