Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Single humbucker wiring diagram - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Single humbucker wiring diagram

What's Hot
Can you help. Looking for a wiring diagram for a single humbucker, preferably with no tone. I tried a 5 way switch diagram but was too noisy. Guitar had ni noise when it was a humbucker/single coil tele witj 3 way switch. Think I want a humbucker into a tele 8 pin, 3 way switch going into a 500k pot volume. 
Thanks in anticipation 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023
    No need for the switch if it's just a single humbucker - connect the pickup hot to the end terminal of the pot (the one that isn't grounded - left as you look at the pot from the back with the shaft pointing down), the jack hot to the middle terminal, and both jack and pickup grounds to the back of the volume pot - that's it. Any additional wiring will introduce noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PopDufcPopDufc Frets: 3
    I'm looking for multiple sounds. Humbucker, single and out of phase is my wish
    PopDufc said:
    I'm looking for multiple sounds. Humbucker, single and out of phase is my wish
     A humbucker out of phase with itself doesn't usually sound very good, there's too much cancellation. If you do want it it can be done with a standard 3-way switch though.

What pickup are you using? The colour coding varies depending on the manufacturer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's a iron gear stacked humbucker.  I had it wired with a push pull and it was good. Now want it through a 3 way tele switch to give 3 sounds.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    There is a schematic diagram for single humbucker and 3-way lever switch, series/single/parallel wiring on Seymour Duncan website. It may be categorised under Esquire rather than Telecaster.

There ought to be something similar in the DiMarzio website Support section. It is probably categorised under H or single humbucker.

NOTE: Different pickup manufacturers tend to use the same four insulation colours to code the output conductors of their humbucking pickups but not necessarily in the same order.

ICBM said:
    A humbucker out of phase with itself doesn't usually sound very good, there's too much cancellation.
    I liken the sound of the two coils of a humbucker wired in reverse to normal to an electric egg slicer. Horrid! Worse than a cheap banjo.
    Be seeing you.
    If you’re going to do out of phase, it’s probably best to do ‘partial out of phase’ with the coils in parallel and a cap in series with the reversed coil - that will maintain a usable amount of signal.

I suspect that the series, out-of-phase-with-itself option is not possible via the standard two-pole, three-way lever selector switch alone. It will require a DPDT on/on mini toggle or a push-pull pot.
    Be seeing you.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 697
    edited August 2023
    PopDufc said:
    It's a iron gear stacked humbucker.  I had it wired with a push pull and it was good. Now want it through a 3 way tele switch to give 3 sounds.
    Sorry, I may be wrong but I don't think IronGear make any stacked humbuckers. If you have the Steel Twin II then it's a tapped single coil, not a humbucker.

@ICBM has previously linked to the Dimarzio diagram for series/parallel/split which will work with any humbucker.

I have previously presented my own version which is arranged somewhat differently to Dimarzio's diagram, and includes the option for the split to be a partial split with resistors.

A similar thread (excepting the out-of-phase discussion) can be found here:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/246108/telecaster-esquire-with-single-hb-pickup-anyone-built-one/p1

My comments, including a sketched wiring diagram for series/parallel/split, can be found half way down page two.
    The pickup is an old iron gear. 4 wires plus ground. Got the colours. I had it as a tapped to single coil and it worked fine. I do want the single, series,parallel thing.
    Thanks
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Thanks. Got the wiring off the dimazio site. Solder time now!!!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    Make sure you have an 'on-on-on' toggle switch rather than the standard DPDT (apologies if this is obvious)
    Thanks
    I suspect that the series, out-of-phase-with-itself option is not possible via the standard two-pole, three-way lever selector switch alone.
    It is, but I will need to be back home with access to pencil and paper to work it out.

For a stacked coils pickup, the lower coil - being farther from the vibrating strings - contributes considerably less signal than the upper coil. The lower coil is mainly there for hum cancellation.You wouldn't want to split to the lower coil. 

The tonal difference between series and parallel modes lies largely in the midrange. The level difference between modes is insufficient to be thought of as lead and rhythm.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I missed the bit about stacked. Do you actually mean stacked - ie looks and sounds like a single coil - or just a mini humbucker - ie looks like a very narrow humbucker, with two rows of polepieces or ‘rails’? The term is sometimes used for the second type, but it only should be for the first. The out-of-phase and split sounds will be completely different for them - with a stack, single and especially out-of-phase are actually louder and thicker-sounding than humbucking.

Either way, it’s definitely possible to use a standard 3-way switch for all three sounds since it’s just a 2P3T switch and can be wired as an on-on-on, or any other configuration of a 2-pole toggle switch.

It's definitely a stacked humbucker and not a "hot rail" type.  Bought to fit a telecaster standard bridge plate