Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). First nylon string guitar - what's a good option - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

First nylon string guitar - what's a good option

What's Hot
I'm toying with the idea of getting a nylon string guitar, but I've no idea where to start. What are the good available guitars in the below 500 quid range?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Do you want a "classical" or a "crossover"? A classical will have a wider, flatter fretboard whereas a crossover will be narrower and possibly radiused. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As with most guitars in the £500 range you’re probably better off by finding a good condition used guitar. Generally speaking you’ll be getting more bang for your buck. Cordoba have a good reputation and a wide range of models including classical and cross over models. They’re widely stocked in all the leading retailers so shouldn’t be a problem getting your hands on one to try out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    edited August 2023
    I can highly recommend the Yamaha NTX series. I bought one used for about 400 a while back. It was a crossover style, which I found an easy transition from electric/acoustic vs the wider classical boards, but allowed me to get my nylon ambitions out 
  • I think the crossover type will probably be the answer. I'll have a browse and see what's about. Cheers all :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I was going to offer an excellent Raimundo I have which is worth about £500 - I’m just not a classical player, I have tried! - but then I saw you’re in France...

Anyway, Raimundo seem to be one of the lesser-known brands and make models in your price range, which on the basis of this one are very good value for money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Cheers @ICBM ;
  • elkayelkay Frets: 64
    If you're in the South London area, I have a Cordoba C10 Crossover which I can let you have for your budget limit (which is less than half the retail price). PM me if you're interested.
  • I was in South London a week ago, but sadly I'm back in France now. Oh well, thanks for the offer :-)