Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Replacing neck side dots - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Replacing neck side dots

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
edited August 2023 in Making & Modding
I have clay side dots on a guitar and would love to have them changed for something more visible.

Anyone within a reasonable distance of Harrogate who can do this?
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Probably my least favourite job when making a guitar! I could do it but I wouldn't do it to someone else's guitar. Plus I'm over 200 miles away!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 967
    edited August 2023
    Honestly I wouldn't.

Just draw in new dots right over the old ones with a white Posca paint pen. It shows up really well and lasts for ages... I've only done it once, a year and quite a few gigs ago. 

My totally-invisible-clay-dot Tele after the treatment...

https://i.imgur.com/KGgxQ3W.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    KKJale said:
    Honestly I wouldn't.

Just draw in new dots right over the old ones with a white Posca paint pen. It shows up really well and lasts for ages... I've only done it once, a year and quite a few gigs ago. 

My totally-invisible-clay-dot Tele after the treatment...

https://i.imgur.com/KGgxQ3W.jpg
    Thanks @KKJale ;

That does sound sensible. 

Few questions though. Do you have to treat the area first or does it just go straight on? Is the coat thin enough not to feel like it is raised? And is there not a likelihood it will rub off?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • ^ Straight on (on 99% of finishes). You’ll feel it, barely. Yes, but then you just reapply it, simples.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Bought! Thanks folks.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    If the Posca wears off too quickly then try Humbrol white enamel paint. I had to do this on my Parker Fly - not a neck you want to drill into.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    @KKJale Great solution!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Hey @KKJale. Can I do this on a valuable acoustic with a nitro finish, and still polish it off to get back to the undamaged original? It's my go-to guitar late at night (it's the quietest one I have and while Mrs Tannin is very tolerant there are limits) and has side dots I struggle to see in soft lighting unless I put my reading glasses on).

edited August 2023
    @Tannin I'm reasonably sure that Posca paint will sit nicely on the surface without leeching in, and that with good eyesight and a sharp blade you could chip the the little spots off leaving no trace, skills permitting,

The paint needs to be 'loaded up' by depressing the tip quite hard quite a few times, so you need a suitable surface nearby to do that. 

Maybe run a little trial on a test piece of some kind to be sure?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    ^ Thanks @KKJale!  ;
    Forgot to mention, I used the PC-1MR pin type 0.7mm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-1MR-Posca-Calibre-Surface-Plastic/dp/B00MX27VEG

*better retailers are available
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter