Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sixto Rodriguez - Sugar Man - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sixto Rodriguez - Sugar Man

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
I suppose that like most of us, I knew nothing about Sixto until the Searching for Sugar Man documentary came out. Just heard that he passed away. :(

Seemed such a cool and modest guy. The scene where he finally gets to perform to crowds were wonderful.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I've seen him a couple of times, last about 10 years back. TBH I'm kind of amazed he held out as long as he did. His health has been failing for a while. He had a very listenable singer songwriting thing and his albums had that great, dry, 70's plate reverb production thing going on. He could so eaily have been huge in a Donovan / Nick Drake / James Taylor way.  I was hardly an early adopter but his records soundtracked 2007ish for me.

I'll admit to having never seen the doc, maybe now would be a good time to. RIP.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    His music was a big part of the soundtrack to my teens, in the 70s. I was (much) later intrigued that he was essentially unknown outside a few parts of the world. I haven't seen the doc either but will do when I get it together. RIP to a fine musician.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    pigface said:
    His music was a big part of the soundtrack to my teens, in the 70s. I was (much) later intrigued that he was essentially unknown outside a few parts of the world. I haven't seen the doc either but will do when I get it together. RIP to a fine musician.
    Interesting! Where are you from? You must watch it, it’s amazing. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    A pal of mine was raving about the film a few years ago. I must take a look. 
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 231
    edited August 2023
    One of those films that I had no idea about the bloke and randomly watched - my life was richer for it.

Pleased for the guy that he got to experience the recognition for his work.
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    viz said:
    pigface said:
    Interesting! Where are you from? You must watch it, it’s amazing. 
    I spent my teenage years (the 70s) in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe. He was very big there. I'll certainly try to see the doc.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter