Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Friedman JEL - 20 Jake E Lee amp - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Friedman JEL - 20 Jake E Lee amp

What's Hot
hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I watched a bit of that earlier and then listened to some Red Dragon Cartel. Not my usual thing but I wanted to check that Lee doesn't sound as bad as the amp in that demo. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Here’s a better one from the awesome Michael Nielsen 
      https://youtu.be/I1yvPqK3OpQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    My main think is ... butterslax 20w next? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 315
    Tempting - it’s basically a PT20 v2 with a plexi channel 1. But I’ll stick with the Bogner XTC 3534. Prefer the bigger iron and tubes!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    And Pete Thorn has released a video unhelpfully confirming that in the right hands it sounds amazing 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I watched the start of the Thorn one which sounded a lot better but still not that much like Jack E Lee and then the start of the Nielsen one which was horrible just horrible in a different way to the Sweetwater one.* 
    Again, not really my area of musical interest but if you want to sound like Jake E Lee does seem fairly conclusive that just owning this amp won't get you there. 

*they all sound like Lee in a generic distorted rock noise of course but he has brightness, clarity and attack to his tone that none of these seem to get. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I watched the start of the Thorn one which sounded a lot better but still not that much like Jack E Lee and then the start of the Nielsen one which was horrible just horrible in a different way to the Sweetwater one.* 
    Again, not really my area of musical interest but if you want to sound like Jake E Lee does seem fairly conclusive that just owning this amp won't get you there. 

*they all sound like Lee in a generic distorted rock noise of course but he has brightness, clarity and attack to his tone that none of these seem to get. 
    'Bark at the Moon' was one of my earliest face-melt experiences...what a snarling beast of a player...even the dodgy songs on that album have epic guitar on them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Not worth £1850. Sent my PT V2 straight back. 

Just thin and weedy sounding. Just don’t get the hype around friedmans 
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 315
    BE100 DLX is stunning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 162
    Small format BE head would be amazing . Sames guts but a short head like /13 do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    Not particularly a big fan of Jake although did learn a lot of his riffs as a kid. 

This amp sounds superb to me in what I've heard, yet to find a Friedman that doesn't though. I'm liking that the clean on this 20w actually seems like it can go clean, clean.
  • I thought it sounded great in the Pete Thorn and Michael Neilson demos.