Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cleaning wenge and other porous wood - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cleaning wenge and other porous wood

What's Hot
I have a wenge neck. It's really nice but quite porous. As a result, you can see some of the pores get gunked up with dirt after normal usage. It's not too bothersome but visible – little white groves. Is there a standard way of cleaning these?

I tried napha with some paper roll and it helps a bit but not 100%. Also have Dunlop lemon oil and what not. Somebody online is suggesting a brush with soapy water (and oil afterwards) but I'm not somewhat reluctant without being quite careful  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Not water.   Use a toothbrush and isopropyl 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited August 2023
    Are you talking about the back of the neck or a fretboard?

The "someone online" might be talking about how Dave from Canada (YouTube "Dave's World of Fun Stuff") cleans really grimy fretboards - household cleaning agent and nail brush.  He dries it very quickly afterwards and later oils it.  Normally water shouldn't be near a fretboard, but he only uses this for really caked-on grime where the only other alternative would be scraping.  For just normal usage gunk where naptha doesn't shift it very well I tend to use alcohol just as WezV has suggested.  If you take a credit card and slice it in a straight line with the blade at an angle you have a scraper with one sharp edge for getting in close to the frets that won't damage the fretboard.

If you are talking about the back of the neck, then it sounds like it is a bare wood one that had an oil finish on it to begin with, in which case you would probably need to very finely sand it and re-coat it with whatever oil finish was used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    once it is clean i would be tempted to go with some briwax after the oil.  Natural will be fine.  This will partially fill the deepest pores, whilst still feeling nice and natural