Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Does anyone want to read about some wah pedals? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Does anyone want to read about some wah pedals?

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
Because I've got 4 all of a sudden.

So if anyone's interested in how a Crybaby Standard, Crybaby Classic (Red Fasel), Crybaby Clyde McCoy and USA Vox V847 compare, speak up. Just don't want to write a bunch of stuff if nobody is that fussed...  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I’m always interested in this kind of thing. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m interested. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    What's your favourite and why?
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Yup definitely as looking to buy one soon!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    edited August 2023
    They're all good
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930

Does anyone want to read about some wah pedals?

Go on then, wah not…. =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    What does it sound like if you connect them all in series, put a board across all of them and play them simultaneously?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cols said:
    What does it sound like if you connect them all in series, put a board across all of them and play them simultaneously?
    Really bad. Really, really bad.

I recommend it.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited August 2023
    Cols said:
    Maybe reverse every other wah for more fun!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Cols said:
    Oh we did that at a forum gear jam. 7 I think. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited August 2023
    What happened to the great write up? Tis the sort of thing that could help someone searching in the future, even if they're all good. Kirk Hamnets could be lurking and trying to improve his tones and you have forsaken him!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yeah, it was a bit of a word salad. I've done some clips, just working out the best way to do a write up
    edited August 2023
    Ok so...

First comparison. Explorer with '70s T-Tops, bridge position, into Helix preset with delay, reverb & stereo clean AC30s.

Thoughts:

The Vox is nice. It's got a little grit, and a good flow from low to high. I actually did this one last, think I strummed slightly harder.

The Classic with the Red Fasel has a big volume boost: The circuit itself distorts, especially heel down. The advantage is, heel down has a better change of not disappearing in the mix through a combination of sheer volume and distortion generating some grit. I really like the throaty lower half, but subtle it ain't.

The Clyde is clean and has a big range. It's quite focussed and has a very smooth sweep, the best "mapped" frequency sweep compared to the physical position of the pedal. The pedal actually has a few more degrees of movement, so it's got warmer heel and sharper toe down and that actually is a downside for me - live, I like parking it toe down with the neck pickup for repeatability and the Clyde is too sharp/thin like that. I could adjust the pot rotation but then the heel down will be too mellow, and I use that too..,

The Standard (Courtesy of @thecolourbox , who started me off on this little adventure) The bottom half of the frequency sweep seems to occur in the bottom 25% of the pedal movement, so it sounds faster. It's kinda clean too, but somehow not as locked in as a Clyde.
    Clean Sweep 2.

Vox - It's a little sharp at the toe down position, and you can hear the slighly dirty character as the heel goes down. 

Classic Red - Again, more gain in this wah, so more grit. Toe down, it's not as sharp as the Vox. In fact, there's a certain thickness below the toe down upper mid frequency peak that makes it pretty useable and stops it sounding peaky. As in the first clip, I like that the distortion in the bottom half of the range adds a bit of definition even when it's really woofy and crunchy sounding. It seems to pick out a few more harmonics in the top half as it sweeps back up near the end.

Clyde - Really thin/ harsh at the top - the filter sounds sharper, a higher Q. I think that does, however mean that it almost has a synth like laser precision as it sweeps down and back up the range, it seems to capture every harmonic as it goes equally. It's really, really good, it just has too broad a range for me.

And the Standard - I'd say in range, Q and sweep, it's fairly similar to the Vox, just slightly cleaner. Heel down, I think it drops some volume compared to the others.
    Heel Down test.

This is a big one for me. You know that meme, "Haunting Mids" that went around forums a decade or so back? This is haunting mids for me - that distant, evocative sound.

Vox - Annoyingly, a slight buzz in the background. This one is the noisiest of the four. I can get rid of the Buzz by changing from a standalone supply to my board's DC7, but then it seems to develop a buzz when toe down. Sigh. I like the tone. It's got a vowely, slightly gritty thing going on, and doesn't turn into mush.

Classic Red - Loud. Too Gainy. There are situations where that gain would be good, but this isn't it to me. Seems to go mad on one particular note, which is a shame because some other notes sound nice. It doesn't have as much focus as the Vox, which seems to tuck in the bass end nicely.

Clyde - This sits similar to the Vox, to my ears, but is cleaner. Maybe a little thinner.

Standard - Hmmm. Apart from the Classic which is murdered by its own volume in this comparison, I think there's not loads in it. This one actually seems a bit gainer than the vox, whereas in the previous two comparisons I'd say the reverse was true.
    I also have 3 distorted comparisons, but that'll be a job for tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • These threads always turn into someone going wah wah wah wah.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    There's a George Harrison song that will blow your mind .... :)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Cirrus said:
    Cols said:
    Really bad. Really, really bad.

I recommend it.
    I was rather hoping it might summon Kirk Hammett.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Nice comparison. Did you do any funk-wah clips?

I've got one in the cupboard somewhere. Think it's the 'Original Cry Baby' from 90s. I only bought it to get those Schenker-style half-cocked wah tones. (And I play with that so rarely that I can use the Kemper.)

Should just get it sold.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Only just spotted this thread.

I had hoped it would include a Morley 20/20 Power Fuzz Wah.

ah well. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    I'm sure if you send him one he'll include it
  • @Cirrus Thanks for posting this. It has inspired me to hunt out my old Vox 847. I might even gig it on Saturday.
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    edited August 2023
    Great write up, I've owned the standard crybaby (stock and modd'ed), Clyde and Vox over the years, plus a few others. I seem to remember the Vox sounded best with distortion, and the Crybaby clean, more funk stuff

My go to now is a standard crybaby with a couple of the usual mods.

I seem to recall the Vox Clyde (the 848 ?) sounded different to the 847, a bit more mid range honky, and i was quite unimpressed with it at the time. The Clyde you've tested is a Crybaby, which is interesting (I guess licensing the name has changed over the years).

I think Vox did another model in the mid 00s which was very, very nice, an 845 ?