Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Help setting a price, Aria LW12HB and Tanglewood TW28SN, both with hard case - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Help setting a price, Aria LW12HB and Tanglewood TW28SN, both with hard case

What's Hot
HamHam Frets: 8
Hi, as per https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252130/etty-ket-selling-stuff-and-help-pricing I'm after help setting a price for a couple of acoustic guitars, alongside help on a bunch of other stuff, apologies for being so needy! (loads of other threads like this coming..... I'm beginning to sound like a broken record ord ord ord ord)

First is an Aria LW12HB photos here https://photos.app.goo.gl/9siesXCJAWB3ZbEU8 - Generally good condition, the worst thing is that - under certain light - the polish on the front shows some marks, I've tried to show it in a photo, I've also shown all the detail I can of any other small marks. My guess is that this was his oldest guitar, probably 30 ish years old. Hard case with it show n in detail, mostly in good condition with one or two places the covering is slightly adrift.

Second is a Tanglewood TW28SN photos here https://photos.app.goo.gl/dpCZAMD7ppdsiVBv6 - Again, good condition, some slight discoloration of the fretboard on the first few frets, you will need to look carefully at the photos to see, again details of other scuffs. Comes in a Washburn hard case that has seen better days but is entirely sound.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HamHam Frets: 8
    I'm going to use Reverb to get an idea of the price, but it occurs to me, how do people ship guitars in hard cases? Just wrap in plastic and stick a label on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    edited August 2023
    1. Each guitar probably has a little bit of wiggle ability inside its case. If there is enough that the head of the guitar can bang against the case, stuff the gaps between to guitar's body and the case to minimise the wiggle room.

2. Bubblewrapping the hard case is not done by shops but can help a bit and reassure the buyer.

3. Put the hard case (bubblewrapped or not) into a cardboard box and stuff the box (pretty much with rubbish: old bits of cardboard, empty plastic bottles with their lids tightly on) to ensure the case stays central in the box. Some guitar shops will give or sell empty boxes but I tend to get boxes from bike shops as the boxes are thicker and bigger, so two guitars can be boxed from one bike box. Ham, (tongue in cheek:) do you know a local bike shop?

Edited to add that the last guitar I bought the sender even wrapped the whole box in plastic film as it had been raining a lot where he lived. How thoughtful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Good ideas there, thanks.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I'd echo what @Whistler says re packing. Make sure that the guitar can't move in the case or the case in the box. Also check that the courier's insurance covers guitars; many (Parcelforce I'm looking at you) specifically exclude musical instruments.

For the Tanglewood I can see a wide range of prices between £100 and £200. How you set the price depends on how keen you are to sell.
    edited August 2023
    Oh I'm keen to sell, but I have to temper that desire with the objective of the exercise which is to raise cash. The bright spot in all this, with large numbers of guitars and other stuff taking up space, is that it is for my wife's sister, so at least I'm not getting any grief such as "how long are all these going to be hanging around?" from my nearest and dearest. 

Hopefully the prices I've set are realistic. I actually rather like the Tanglewood and was slightly tempted to keep it, I think it has a nice action and sound, but can't think where I might store it. N+1 is insidious ;)
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    There are some great storage options for guitars; you can get a rack that holds 3 or 4 and doesn't really take up much more space than a single guitar.

But I'm probably not helping in the downsizing exercise...
    edited August 2023
    I've just added the Washburn electric to the collection (OK, not a collection just two, a steel and a Spanish acoustic), the three hang on the wall in my study and no, there is no space for another there. I suppose in the interest of full disclosure I have to add the Roland electric piano that we bought for our daughter to learn on when she was at school, and I always promised myself I was going to get down from the loft when I retired  which thing I'm almost doing right now. If I'm honest I'd forgotten that it was an ackchewal full size 7.5 octave keyboard. That's quite big, it turned out. So, N+1 has prolly been stretched to its limits right now.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    Ham said:
    N+1 has prolly been stretched to its limits right now.
    It is time for N+1 on property ownership!
    What a good idea. Note to self: Invest in property by acquiring a dog house, suitable for living in.