Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NAD: Simplifier Mk II - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NAD: Simplifier Mk II

TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
I've been going down the "go direct" route since I started my current band earlier this year. We're usually practising at the keyboard players house (using e-drums) and playing through a small PA. We're playing small gigs at the moment, and going direct is getting us a great sound - albeit without the "amp onstage" experience, which is a shame, but hearing everything back in the monitors is working well for us. 

I started off with yet another modeller, but moved back to a proper pedalboard and an amp/cab emulation. I prefer that way of working. Currently using a Quilter SuperBlock US and that is doing the job well enough - a clean pedal platform for the pedalboard. I don't use the 25W amp aspect of the Quilter at all. I prefer analogue cab emulations to IRs and like the way an analogue amp responds to increased signal levels compared to modellers. 

So, that's the context, now the Simplifier Mk II...  I bought a Simplifier DLX when they first came out and sent it back. It wasn't enjoyable enough for me to play through, and had a lot of switches and knobs I didn't think I'd use. Felt like a quality build, though. I then tripped over a YouTube vid made by DSM featuring the product designer explaining (and demonstrating) the changes they've made in developing the Mk II. I was intrigued enough to buy one and see for myself. 

First impressions are rather good. The controls are easier for me to understand and use - with an improved layout and the removal of some functionality that didn't work for me before. The sounds are absolutely fine into headphones, a powered monitor or even into the effects return of my Rivera.  It feels like an amp and not at all "remote". I'd say the Marshall and Vox tones are much better than they used to be, and on a par with the RevivalDrive I used to own (I still own and use a Compact, but that's slightly different). Which shouldn't be a surprise, as the design criteria seems to be a copy of the Origin Effects criteria of mimicking the topology of a valve amp using analogue circuits inside a little box. The reverb is digital, though! 

I'm taking it to band practice today to see how it stacks up against the SBUS in the band mix. I'm not planning on using it for all the sounds it produces - just a decent clean Fender tone with some playing response when I dig in or lift off. We'll see. I'm excited about recording at home using it for Marshall and Vox tones, though. 

So, not a review, but some first impressions. I hope it does well today, and if it does there'll probably be a Quilter SuperBlock US up for sale soon. I don't need two "go direct" solutions and I've been feeling guilty about never using the Quilter as a real 25W amp, because that's pretty good, too. 

Here's the link to the DSM YouTube vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzSZ4b5oYOI

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Well, after yesterdays practice session, I feel pretty confident that the Simplifier is just as suited to my "go direct" band needs as the SuperBlock US is. But it also has some advantages. It's smaller. It has stereo outputs - I'm not running a stereo signal chain, but I like the fact I can have two different cabs on the output for a more complex sound. It only needs 9v DC power, whereas I prefer running the SBUS on 24v DC - requiring the Quilter power supply.

So, it's looking positive for the Simplifier as far as my live/practice band needs go. I'll investigate using it to record next... The Marshall and Vox tones also sound very usable and not at all fizzy (which is how I remember the DLX I had for a short while).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Is the fender tone still significantly quieter than the other two?   Was really annoying feature on the classic simplifier.

I liked mine but actually quite happy using a quilter tone block for Direct is fine for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88 said:
    Is the fender tone still significantly quieter than the other two?   Was really annoying feature on the classic simplifier.

I liked mine but actually quite happy using a quilter tone block for Direct is fine for me. 

The Mk II has three controls directly affecting volume. The preamp gain sets the way the preamp responds. The power amp drive does the same for the power amp stage. Then there is a volume control which (as far as I can tell so far) is just an amplitude control for the signal output once you've set the tone. But if you just change channel selection without adjusting the volume, the Marshall channel at the same settings is still louder (more gainy) than the Fender one. But that (for me) isn't something you do in a live situation, and in a recording situation you'd just adjust the volume down/up a bit. 

The Quilter kit is top notch. I can get what I need done with the SBUS - but you know how we all are... ;-) 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    Thanks for the review, I'd not really considered these. 
  • Another small update:

This week, I've been using the Simplifier for recording some song demos for the band. Nothing fancy, just rough demos. Previously I've used the software amps inside Logic and getting decent results, but I've finally accepted I don't like working with the virtual world unless I have to - workflows are different and I'm not suited to it.

It's gone well and hasn't been too onerous. Pretty quick and easy for me to dial in. I've been going straight into the Simplifier and using the three different amp voices - there's a killer sample setting in the manual for Ritchie Blackmore at his non master volume finest, which has been fun. 

For recording, I used two different cabs on the Simplifier, but in mono, like I'd be at a gig. I turned the reverb off and added a little with a plugin, later. I could have recorded them onto two tracks. I'll try it at some point. 

Unashamed plug: My SuperBlock US is up for sale. I bought it purely for the "go direct" capability. I don't need another amp and I don't actually own a speaker cabinet anyway, just combos. Here's the link.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252330/fs-quilter-superblock-us-25w-pedalboard-amp-229-shipped

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6199