Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). William Friedkin - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

William Friedkin

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
Director of at least two all-time classic films.

Mark Kermode will be very upset.

RIP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• or maybe three if you include the "Remake"

RIP 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Philly_Q said:
    Director of at least two all-time classic films.

Mark Kermode will be very upset.

RIP
    Made a huge impact on film.

RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    edited August 2023
    or maybe three if you include the "Remake"

RIP 
    At least three - The French Connection, The Exorcist and To Live And Die in LA. And then there's Cruising and Sorcerer. Something about his movies had a slightly slapdash feel about them but it didn't hurt the finished product and possibly enhanced them.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    JezWynd said:
    or maybe three if you include the "Remake"

RIP 
    At least three - The French Connection, The Exorcist and To Live And Die in LA. And then there's Cruising and Sorcerer. Something about his movies had a slightly slapdash feel about them but it didn't hurt the finished product and possibly enhanced them.
    Sorcerer's a maybe, but I've always been a bit resistant to it because it's (sort of) a remake of The Wages Of Fear, which is one of my absolute favourite films.  I'll watch it properly one day.

Personally I'm not a fan of To Live and Die in LA and I find Cruising unconvincing and horribly dated.  The French Connection and The Exorcist are solid gold.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sorcerer is probably my favourite... an amazing film which doesn't deserve the poor reputation it has at all.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Sorcerer is probably my favourite... an amazing film which doesn't deserve the poor reputation it has at all.

My impression would be that its reputation has grown in recent years.  Certainly when it's been released and re-released on Blu-ray the reviews have been very favourable (and I don't mean just in terms of video and audio quality!).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Philly_Q said:

My impression would be that its reputation has grown in recent years.  Certainly when it's been released and re-released on Blu-ray the reviews have been very favourable (and I don't mean just in terms of video and audio quality!).
    I must see if I can get a copy. Apparently it was one of Friedkin’s own favourite films too, and he supervised the remastering - but having read the Wiki page I can see some of the reasons it failed - odd/confusing title, the first section is all subtitled, it’s dark and oddly hypnotic, and it came out at the same time as Star Wars… but you would think the critics would have seen past all that.

The one thing I don’t like about it is that both the original poster and the Tangerine Dream album cover give away possibly the high point of the film (or one of them).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

I must see if I can get a copy. Apparently it was one of Friedkin’s own favourite films too, and he supervised the remastering - but having read the Wiki page I can see some of the reasons it failed - odd/confusing title, the first section is all subtitled, it’s dark and oddly hypnotic, and it came out at the same time as Star Wars… but you would think the critics would have seen past all that.

The one thing I don’t like about it is that both the original poster and the Tangerine Dream album cover give away possibly the high point of the film (or one of them).
    Friedkin's remasterings have been controversial... on the first Blu-ray release of The French Connection he completely fucked up the colour palette (it looked absolutely appalling) and they were forced to re-release it in something closer to the original version.  And of course there was The Exorcist - the Version You've Never Seen, with added effects...

The UK Blu-ray of Sorcerer is fine, though.  I think I got it with some kind of limited edition cover which doesn't seem to be available now, bur the disc content will be the same.
  • Kermode gives a heartfelt tribute on the current podcast.  
    Also a good overview of the work.

I have seen more of his work than I realised
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    edited August 2023
    He made a huge impact on Paul Crump, Friedkin’s first documentary in 62 for Chicago TV was so convincing that it got the guy off death row. 

Sorcerer is in my top ten films, just phenomenal. Brilliantly done and Roy Scheider was pitch perfect in anything. Although that role was meant to be for Steve McQueen.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Wow, didn't even realise, RIP William, love a load of his work.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

This evening I've seen a screening of The Exorcist with Mark Kermode introduction and Q&A.  Which overran, of course. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter