Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Vintage Ibanez/Isonez? Jazz Bass - your expertise required. - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Vintage Ibanez/Isonez? Jazz Bass - your expertise required.

LittleBlueLittleBlue Frets: 145
edited August 2023 in Bass
Evening all.
I have just acquired a modified jazz Bass and would really appreciate your help wiith identifying the model, year, value once tested and setup, parts and where i can pick up replacements.
  • it appears to say Isonez? A copy of a copy perhaps?
  • 2 machine heads have been replaced (E & A) but still appear to be of a similar age:
  • Non-original wooden scratch plate. Assuming the original was tortoiseshell?
  • Pickup configuration is a PJ hybrid but dont know what the pickups are. The routing for the PBass pickups is rather shoddy:

•  Original “made in Japan neck plate:
  • Assuming this is the original bridge and saddles?

• Strap button and strap lock on the base:

• Im guessing the control knobs are original?

• And then photos of the rest:

Any help with identification would be amazing!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    When I saw the thread title I assumed it was a slightly damaged Ibanez logo which looked like it says 'Isonez', but it does appear to be intentionally like that! I've never seen one before, or even heard of it...

It's definitely a very similar early/mid-70s Japanese Jazz Bass copy, probably from the same factory as the normal Ibanez ones - I'm fairly sure Matsumoku, but from before they gained their justified reputation for high quality.

The cream pickup is a DiMarzio, not original - it would have been another Jazz pickup. The bridge pickup, bridge and knobs are original. The top strap button is original, the bottom one isn't - or even a strap button, it looks like some sort of electrical screw terminal or something similar.

They're not worth a vast amount even unmodified, and it's debatable if the DiMarzio adds anything to the value - even though they fetch a reasonable amount on their own.

There's probably not a lot that needs replacing other than the pickguard - given the quality of the DiMarzio, it would probably be better to have a new guard made to fit it rather than revert to the original pickup, if you can even find one. It might even sound quite decent as it is...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited August 2023
    Is the name on the headstock a waterslide decal, sealed beneath the clear top coats or is it a vinyl sticker, sitting proud of the varnish?

The headstock wood and truss rod cover smack of MIJ budget brands such as Kay, Zenta or Satellite.

The machineheads resemble the Gotohs on my Squier Silver Series Precision. They all look a bit wonky. It is possible that none of them is original. Remove them and inspect the wood for evidence of reaming.

The split coils pickup resembles a DiMarzio Model P. The sealing resin on the underside is pretty distinctive. I have a similarly ancient pickup rescued from a Hondo II with the same general appearance.
    Be seeing you.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I believe the scratchplate could well be an aftermarket one from B&Q.  They normally come as 3-ply birch or similar in 4' x 2'  :)
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    If you do go for a replacement scratchplate then beware the Japanese scratchplates are slightly different holes measurement’s so if you buy a uk or USA branded scratchplate the holes won’t line up. That’s what I’ve found with my MIJ guitars. 
  • LittleBlueLittleBlue Frets: 145
    Is the name on the headstock a waterslide decal, sealed beneath the clear top coats or is it a vinyl sticker, sitting proud of the varnish?

The headstock wood and truss rod cover smack of MIJ budget brands such as Kay, Zenta or Satellite.

The machineheads resemble the Gotohs on my Squier Silver Series Precision. They all look a bit wonky. It is possible that none of them is original. Remove them and inspect the wood for evidence of reaming.

The split coils pickup resembles a DiMarzio Model P. The sealing resin on the underside is pretty distinctive. I have a similarly ancient pickup rescued from a Hondo II with the same general appearance.
    It is indeed sealed under the lacquer.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Neilybob said:
    If you do go for a replacement scratchplate then beware the Japanese scratchplates are slightly different holes measurement’s so if you buy a uk or USA branded scratchplate the holes won’t line up. That’s what I’ve found with my MIJ guitars. 
    A standard pickguard definitely won’t fit this, even if you want to go back to a Jazz pickup.

I would just have a new one made using the wooden one as the template.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson