Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker

What's Hot
ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
I'm mostly a Vox guy, but I've got a Marshall Bluesbreaker itch to scratch, and there's been a 2004 one for sale near me for the last 6 weeks at £800, with no takers.

My Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb mostly sits in a cupboard, as my AC15 is my main gigging amp at the moment, and I'm thinking of offering it as a straight trade for the Marshall.

I know these 1962s are very loud and pretty heavy, but I like the noise they make. The amp in question has had Marshall cab side handles installed which should make moving it easier, and I believe the weight is less than AC30s which I've used.

It will almost certainly be too loud for the typical large bar gigs we play, but I get most of my dirt from pedals. 

What do those in the know think? Is the Marshall too impractical for modern gigging? Will I end up with an amp that's hard to shift if it doesn't work out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    From my experience of the last 2 years, larger marshalls are a hard sell. Amps are a lot more flexible and more compact these days… heavy, big and loud marshalls don’t seem to be fashionable. I don’t think you’ll be able to get a straight trade, but you can try your luck. 

Personally, I’d take the Marshall over the fender no problem. You’d likely get your money back for it if you decided to shift it, but it might just take a bit longer than you’d want it to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    No it’s not! It’s an absolute joy of an amp. My favourite of all time. I’ve been gigging one absolutely fine. I have just swapped it for a JTM45 head and cab mind you, but that’s because I’m only 5ft 9”, and along with being “bastard heavy” the bluesbreaker is also tall, and only has a handle on the top. My house is three storey and I nearly plummeted to my death on more than one occasion moving it. The side handles will be a big boon. 

In short, don’t hesitate. Phenomenal amp. Jump the channels, wind both up past 4, and live your best life. 

YOU DO YOU BABE. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Even if the seller wants a small amount of cash, do it - the Marshall is worth a bit more, but the Fender is easier for him to sell so it should be a win for both of you.

Gav is right, they're a pig to move if you're short - I'm not only shorter than him but older too, so I wouldn't even try on my own these days - but they sound fantastic even used as a clean pedal platform, you don't have to crank them to sound wonderful. (But they do if you can!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I cranked one in a studio this year and it was beyond my expectations of tone. It was smooth and crunchy at the same time and just sang. I mostly used it as a pedal platform though for lower volume recording. For that, it was perfect as well. There’s a punchiness and woodiness to the sound that’s hard to describe. I hope to own a Bluesbreaker one day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    Isn’t Marshall bringing out a JTM45 mini combo soon? 

I have a Mini Bluesbreaker 2 x 10 18 watter handwired. Breaks up really nicely and lovely tremolo. Not the same flavour as the full fat Bluesbreaker as EL84s but portable and still Marshally.. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2023
    At the risk of upsetting purists, I run my JTM45 head through a Harley Benton attenuator and it's fine. It might change the sound slightly but you have four holes and EQ to play with

I ran my Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 combo through the HBA a few weeks back. Didn't really notice any difference in the sound but got it compressing nicely in a little rehearsal room

TL;DR there is a way to control volume that doesn't break the bank
  • Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I'll  see how it goes with a possible trade.