Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). General modulation pedal.... - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

General modulation pedal....

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 3795
edited August 2023 in FX
If a person wanted to have access to the occasional bit of modulation (mostly trem, chorus, phaser and rotary) but didn't;t like any of them enough to warrant investing in decent examples of each, what's a good pedalboard friendly option....MD-200 looks like it would get it done...anything else around or below that price point with a similar range of fx? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    TC Dreamscape, if you don’t need patch memories and stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    TC Dreamscape, if you don’t need patch memories and stuff.
    Hmmm....think I'm probably going to want at least a few presets.....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    The ZCat Q Mod and Q Mod 2 always have nice things said about them. Simple controls. 
    There are some low budget multi mids from Mooer, Fiamma, Sonicake,etc.
    Source Audio do separate chorus, flanger and phaser pedals but you can use the app to have the three types on one pedal. 
    Keeley Super Mod Workstation is versatile but a bit fiddly to use. However, they turn up relatively cheap used. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Zoom MS70 CDR 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Cheap: Flamma FS05

Not cheap: Alexander Wavelength, Walrus Audio M1

Not small: TC Plethora X3 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • Digitech CF-7
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    Marshall do a small modulation pedal from the mid 2000s, the Regenator, with phase, vib, chorus, tremendous etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    A used H9 is more but powerful 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Strymon mobius..

I’ve had boss md500; md200; wampler terraform, tc plethora, loads of multi effects, (stomp, hx effects, m5 zoom g3,g5 , fractal fx8, boss gt1000 and others. by a country mile I’ve preferred the mobius to all of them. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Line6 M5

NUX Modcore

I had the MD-200 on my board but I have the M5 now. To my ears M5 is lo-fi and gritty in a pleasing way. Plus you get a load of mad filters, and all the other effect types
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Wampler Terraform is good to cover all the main ones.
  • Always loved the look of the gfi synesthesia, which hasn’t had a mention so far. 
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 202
    Line 6 M9

The pitch shift and distortion are not up to the latest standards, but the delays, filters and modulations are great.  The looper and tuner are good too.  It's bigger than the Boss, but you get a very useful set of foot switches as a trade-off.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    To be honest I've not been able to get on with any digital modulation and always prefer a good analog pedal. 
  • The Boss modulation effects on a GT-1000 were nice to my ears, so the MD200 would (hopefully) be similar. But I dropped the GT-1000 and went pedals and board, so...  After that, I didn't like everything on the Terraform. I'm happy with a Mobius. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Zoom MS70 CDR 

This, or the MS50G.
    Thanks for the input all. I found a mobius for a good price so let's see how that goes!
  • Lewy said:
    Thanks for the input all. I found a mobius for a good price so let's see how that goes!
    I do get some lovely sounds from mine and don't regret the large pedal size. Definitely usable without plugging into a computer. You can't get a Boss CE-2 chorus sound from it (not quite) but the ones available are very nice, as are the trems, flange and rotary sounds. The formant algorithm gives a nice autowah, too. Enjoy!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Lewy said:
    Good choice! Its a great pedal.  
    thomasw88 said:
    Lewy said:
    Good choice! It’s a great pedal.  
    Thanks….beyond the sounds overall, I’m very much digging the pre/post functionality. Prefer phaser, rotary and vibe before drive, and chorus and trem after.
  • The BOSS MD-500/MD-200 are very versatile and *can* produce some truly excellent sounds. The thing is, the default patches are generally a bit rubbish. I have the MD-500 and every patch I've ended up using is a tweaked (sometimes heavily tweaked) version of a standard patch. Don't think I would have used any of them in their default settings. God knows why BOSS doesn't do a better job of shipping these pedals with better standard patches, but I can understand why others have been put off when they first hear them. Most are over the top and a bit artificial sounding straight off the bat, but can be easily improved. Editing patches, especially in the desktop editor, is dead easy and I've been pleasantly surprised at what the MD-500 is capable of. Running two patches at once can be fun, but they need to be fairly subtle. The only downside is that it's pretty big. The MD-200 has a better footprint, but lacks the MD-500's larger screen.

The Mobius and Terraform are other good ones to consider. I suspect that both will sound better out of the box, but neither quite matches the versatility of the BOSS MDs. If you just want a plug and play solution, these two might be better options.
  • Marshall and EHX do small ones but no presets. The zoom or line6 m5 would be good shouts 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Can't really go wrong with the Mobius
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Zoom MS70 CDR 
    another plus one for this ^
  • Depends on your budget as well 
  • Lewy said:
    thomasw88 said:
    Lewy said:
    Good choice! It’s a great pedal.  
    Thanks….beyond the sounds overall, I’m very much digging the pre/post functionality. Prefer phaser, rotary and vibe before drive, and chorus and trem after.
    I like to use four cables with individual pedals for the same reason.

Drive into the pre-amp, out of the fx loop and into mod, back in for the power amp. Crisp.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    For all this .....Terraform.......Mobius etc etc etc
    I always come back to the conclusion that a Helix FX bought cheaply secondhand does it all and more and is so easy to use
  • Dominic said:
    I always come back to the conclusion that a Helix FX bought cheaply secondhand does it all and more and is so easy to use
    I'm not looking to start a fight, and we've all got different ears, but I've owned all three plus a GT-1000 Core. Purely on size, the Terraform is smallest and the HX FX is the biggest. Purely for modulation sounds, I liked the HX FX and Terraform the least, the Boss had a great chorus and flanger but the Mobius sounded best to me. All of them are easy to drive if you're just looking for mod sounds. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited August 2023
    Zoom MS70 CDR 
    Came here to say this (I use the 50g on my small board). Stick it in a tb loop and you've got a great workhorse, and it's got a good tuner too so eliminates another need. 

Way better than it has any rite to be, given the fancy stuff available and mentioned on this thread - I tried sole of those too - it's not night and day and the little Zoom is often pleasing Lofi. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Dominic said:
    I'm not looking to start a fight, and we've all got different ears, but I've owned all three plus a GT-1000 Core. Purely on size, the Terraform is smallest and the HX FX is the biggest. Purely for modulation sounds, I liked the HX FX and Terraform the least, the Boss had a great chorus and flanger but the Mobius sounded best to me. All of them are easy to drive if you're just looking for mod sounds. 
    No fight.......you are right.......I just find that the difference isn't huge in sound but you can get so much more in Helix FX
    OK, mods are only 95% as good but you then get a Free Compressor, Drive,Boost,Distortion,Wah,Auto Wah,Reverb,Delay ,Panner, Stereo, routing etc etc etc