Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Effectrode Helios - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Effectrode Helios

jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 54
Anyone have one of these and have a strong opinion? There was one on Reverb for 410£ this weekend, and I came extremely close to pulling the trigger, but it was gone by the time I figured I'd give it a go. Given that you can find a Mercury for 250£ or so, it seems like you're paying a lot for the rarity and Gilmour pics. Is it meaningfully different tonally? Has anyone played both? I'm intrigued by the idea of germanium diodes being pushed hard by a tube stage.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Apparently there is a difference, yes. I've never played both side by side, but I did love my old Mercury. I felt it performed better as an overdrive than a fuzz though and that's how I used it, amazing at that. I couldn't tell you the tracks that Gilmour used his on, maybe he didn't. He had a whole heap of valve based pedals that I'm sure just looked good and might not have been used on any recordings. I'm sure the Helios is great, but I've never seen one at a price that has tempted me to try one. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 54
    Supposedly it's entirely the same circuit with a US tube vs a Russian one and requisite bias changes. I haven't a clue if either were used on any songs either. According to their website he has both too. I am far too susceptible to rarity and halo effects.  

Did you sell your Mercury off? 
  • @Jonnicholas may still have a Mercury for sale/trade if you're after one