Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Books about Finishing? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Books about Finishing?

What's Hot
Hi 
apart from the Stewmac book are there any other recommendations for a good guide to finishing techniques out there ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Not guitar or spraying specific, but I've often seen this book recommended.

https://amzn.eu/d/06gzZT0

I have not read it though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    I’d have thought watching video content on the various techniques and methods would be more useful? 

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    I know the Stewmac (and the Benedetto archtop making book ) contains various recipes and procedures to achieve various classic finishes - and thats what I am interested in reading up on , as well as spray technique 

i havent found much youtube content that covers that so far , though there seems to be loads on using cans 

In that case the Flexner book I linked too should be good.  
    Unless you mean specific guitar favourite colours 
    Yeah - I am thinking of guitar finishes ( Gibson cherry, TV Yellow, Bursts etc
    Also Aniline dye proportions etc  

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    PeteC said:
    Yeah - I am thinking of guitar finishes ( Gibson cherry, TV Yellow, Bursts etc
    Also Aniline dye proportions etc  

The Stewmac book has most of those recipes.

For sunbursts, see Gil Yaron's epic Les Paul thread on TDPRI.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    In that case the Flexner book I linked too should be good.  
    I've got that, it's pretty good. Also Spray Finishing by Andy Charron which has a lot about gun technique.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    Also Fly Finishing by J.R.Hartley
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers all 
    just out of interest whats the import charge situation when buying from Stewmac?  I know some of you are regular Stewmac buyers . 

I did buy the Stewmac deluxe fret tang nippers a couple of weeks ago which are on their way atm.  I should have thought to buy the finishing book at the same time ! 
    tFB Trader
    Let me know which pages you want and I'll scan them.
    Many thanks @SteveRobinson         very helpful as ever! 

I am not sure which pages/chapters would be best.  I certainly need to understand the basic recipes for the most common finishes and am particularly interested in how to mix colours (aniline and tint quantities for cherry red, butterscotch and typical bursts ) 

i have ordered the Andy Charton spray techniques book you mentioned above and am planning to order the Flexner
    book that Wez mentioned

With cans i have found that often ive been too heavy handed with the initail coat -  leading to runs or drags that have been tricky to put right.  Subsequent coats ( of nitro ) seem to go
    on much more easily without runs - i guess as the nitro melts into the previous coat 

i expect that I’ll need to practice quite a bit but I have a few builds that I am happy to try things out on and sand back if I need to redo them. 

Managed to get hold of a copy of the Andy Charron book which has plenty on using HVLP which is what I have. 
    £2.80 delivered - so that was a bargain

i think all I need now is some help with recipes for tinting clear nitro to get an aged look , gibson cherry, amber/honey colours and anything else that anyone can suggest ! 

Cheers all 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I sometimes instruct (what we call) surface finishing as part of my job when recruiting new employees. I’ve often talked about opening it up to the public and it’d also be a bloody good opportunity to do lots more guitars! Ditto to following Steve at Manchester guitars and YouTube is a goldmine too. Honestly though, guitar refinishing is pretty straightforward and bloody enjoyable stuff. Good luck.
    I play at my dining room table.
    Cheers @Deadman    I’m really very happy with my build quality now and just need to get on top of some good quality finishing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    PeteC said:
    Cheers @Deadman    I’m really very happy with my build quality now and just need to get on top of some good quality finishing. 
    Enjoy Pete. Anyone who’s a little bit good with their hands can paint a guitar, honestly. It’s pretty easy stuff as long as you follow certain procedures. Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all.
    I play at my dining room table.
    tFB Trader
    The key thing is to get each stage right before starting the next. The sanding of the wood is the most important step, moreso than the painting I think.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    How about that one by JR Hartley?

Oh sorry, you said finishing!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Humour…
    Thanks @Deadman and @SteveRobinson                     
    The main constraint is the workspace for now.   I have a large double garage opening onto a quiet country lane - i just need
    to pick good days and expect dust flaws etc but I can live with that.  I like a played in look anyway so I can always capitalise on sub optimal conditions by ageing the finishes. 

I found a Morrells branch just up the road from 
    me in Thirsk and they have been ultra helpful with picking the right sealer,cleaner, clear coat and anti blush thinners.  I bagged a gallon of each for leas than £80 total.

havent sprayed anything yet apart from Steves cans but starting soon once i finish a couple of new builds which are part made.