Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Are Zoom/Skype piano lessons a thing? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Are Zoom/Skype piano lessons a thing?

Wondering if anyone has had success with this and if so could you recommend a teacher?

This US teacher's set-up got me thinking 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    They are a thing, my daughter had an amazing teacher, and he offered online lessons when the pandemic hit. We didn't go for them though, I just couldn't see it working the same.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    edited August 2023
    My kids had lessons (clarinet and sax) all through the lockdown via Zoom and it worked very well.

Your local web speed will be a factor, and experimenting with the noise reduction settings is wise.

They both passed their next exams. (Grades 5 and 3) I could imagine it might not be as good for complete beginners though. 

EDIT: ask the teacher for a free test session to test the connection.
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    edited August 2023
    I wonder from a piano perspective if it's worth it. I have a pretty good iPad and pretty sure I can make it work my end. I guess during the pandemic a lot of teachers looked for online solutions. I should email a few.

Stil, if anyone has any recommendations it'd be appreciated! Agree that a taster lesson would be ideal. Udemy video lessons are getting a bit stale.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    My cello teacher does piano too. Most of my lessons are on Zoom, with an occasional in-person to check posture and now grip and so on. I can enquire if you'd like. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    Sporky said:
    My cello teacher does piano too. Most of my lessons are on Zoom, with an occasional in-person to check posture and now grip and so on. I can enquire if you'd like. 

@Sporky That'd be great! If he/she has a website feel free to dm. Thanks