Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Significant Stash of Hardwood, What to do with it? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Significant Stash of Hardwood, What to do with it?

What's Hot
chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
edited August 2023 in Making & Modding
Hi folks

UPDATE: I am really sorry but I’ll have to put this offer on hold. I have messed up royally with regard to my in laws thoughts about this wood. I thought it was clear that it could be offered in the way I have done but it seems that this is not the case and I have caused a problem. I will let you know the situation as and when clarity is achieved. Humble apologies for raising and then dashing expectation. END OF UPDATE. 

Not sure what category to put this in so I’ll try here.

My father in law (who passed away last year aged 99) was a pattern maker (extremely accurate forms for casting engine blocks etc) and his best friend, also deceased, worked for a wood wholesaler. That’s the background, not sure where this wood came from, one of their workplaces certainly, but it’s a significant amount and I am wondering if it would be useful for guitar construction (although this is not a ‘for sale’ post per se, it may be of no use). I think it’s mahogany, it’s certainly very heavy, although one piece looks different. The dimensions in cm are below and I’ll share some pictures. If it’s of use in the guitar world get in touch or post some suggestions please. It’s in SW Essex  (Hornchurch) but I also travel to Hants a lot. Happy to donate pieces to private builders.

125 x 22 x 6
54 x 33 x 6.3
58 x 21 x 6.8
83 x 10 x 10 
125 x 9 x 6.4
123 x 8 x 2.7 (3 pcs)
71.5 x 6.5 x 6.5 (looks different, possibly teak)

i haven’t included dimensions of the small piece and a couple of rougher looking pieces

Collection of photos on imgur

https://imgur.com/a/uKqgq53
Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    I see a multi-piece through neck amongst those.

P.S. Sorry for your loss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Looks like some nice mahogany there.  Shame I'm not closer :( 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Seriously though, there is some value there.

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
    A bump to let a few more people see this…
    Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
    Would you consider posting any of it?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I'm in East Hampshire and would love some for boxes and other general stuff. So particularly any bits that aren't suitable for guitar making. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    For potential collectors, are you more South than East (eg Southend), or more East than South (eg Harwich)?

There's certainly pieces in there that could be useful as neck or body blanks, although that might depend on how heavy "very heavy" actually is!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezV said:
    I think it's a bit posh for fence-building
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    WezV said:
    I think it's a bit posh for fence-building
    You joke, but I was given a massive piece of reclaimed mahogany that used to be a fence post when I first started guitar building. Putting it through the planer was like opening a treasure chest.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Thanks for the prompt about location @TTony it’s actually Hornchurch in SW Essex / East London (on the tube) no idea why I put SE, doh! Sorry, I really don’t want to post @WezV. I’ll leave it here to collect interest (or not) for a bit and then part it out. Current ‘bids’ noted from @Sporky and @vern. Thanks @Power-Beef ;;
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Happy to provide beer tokens or a donation to an appropriate charity. :) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Hi all

I am really sorry but I’ll have to put this offer on hold. I have messed up royally with regard to my in laws thoughts about this wood. I thought it was clear that it could be offered in the way I have done but it seems that this is not the case and I have caused a problem. I will let you know the situation as and when clarity is achieved. Humble apologies for raising and then dashing expectation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter