Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Epiphone Hummingbird sounds flat - how to improve? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Epiphone Hummingbird sounds flat - how to improve?

What's Hot
My Epiphone Hummingbird Studio has always sounded a bit flat, boxy maybe. I've had a professional set up done and got Elixir 11s on it. 

Any tips on improving the sound?

Has anyone else had the same experience with this model? If so, what did you do to improve it, if anything?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    If you've already experimented with strings (80/20 bronze strings will produce a brighter sound), I'm not sure how you can change the tone of an acoustic guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing to add is that different guitars respond differently to the same strumming/picking style, so could try adjusting your normal style.
    Two more thoughts:

- The Hummingbird is a short-scale guitar, which do have a tendency to sound boxy

- Although cheaper electric guitars can sound fantastic, the sound quality of an acoustic guitar is reliant on its wood and construction, so more expensive instruments often sound noticeably better
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Measure the humidity in your room over a week or two - if it is regularly above 60% (as it will probably have been over the last month or so) then that is quite probably contributing.   Then either buy a dehumidifier, open your windows more and stop drying clothes and towels in the room or hall outside .  Well that's what I had to do and made a huge difference 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I hate to say this since you're new to the forum and this won't sound very welcoming... (but welcome anyway!)

Sell it and buy a different guitar.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, or can afford - but from my experience with modern Epiphone acoustics, it's the only solution. They just don't sound very good, and I don't know entirely why because many other guitars in their price range do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Better strings.

Elixirs have a bland, somewhat lifeless sound. (This is a consequence of the plastic coating. Yes, they have a very long life and are almost squeal-free, but the sound lacks character.) 

Secondly, you are using 11s on a short-scale acoustic guitar. 13s are standard for short-scale acoustics, or at least 12s. Lighter strings are easier to play but often lack the weight of tone heavier strings provide. 

So experiment and try some different things out. Start with a set of nice, lively phosphor bronze strings with good tone and character such as Martin MA540 or Darco D220 (different names, same string), Galli LS, DR Sunbeams, or Ernie Ball Earthwoods in 12-53 or 12-54. 

If that works for you, stop there. But if it doesn't quite do what you want, there are many more possibilities. Best not to look at those until you have tried a good, standard phosphor bronze 12 set, such as the Martins. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Tannin said:

Elixirs have a bland, somewhat lifeless sound. (This is a consequence of the plastic coating. Yes, they have a very long life and are almost squeal-free, but the sound lacks character.) 
    There's nothing wrong with Elixirs, but you want Nanoweb rather than Polyweb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    String brands do make quite a difference.
    When I bought my Martin HD28 I auditioned quite a few makes before I settled on the set I liked.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited August 2023
    ^ I'm talking about Nanowebs, @Brize. The sound they make is not the same as the sound made by a good uncoated string.  There is nothing wrong with that, some people like it, some people hate it, others again (myself included) don't mind tolerating it in exchange for the lovely lack of left hand squeal you get with Elixirs. 

In this thread we are trying to get a less flat, more lively sound. Upgrading the Elixirs  to (e.g.) Darcos is certainly worth a try.

(PS: I've never tried Polywebs. I suspect that I would not like them at all. I do use Nanowebs from time to time though.)
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 531
    It's difficult to get away from the inherent nature of a particular acoustic guitar. I find electrics are very responsive to changes in pickups, pots, wiring, set up etc. With acoustics there's only so much you can do, assuming the issues aren't being caused by humidity.

Afraid I therefore agree with ICBM - it's time to upgrade. The difference between a £350 guitar and a £700+ guitar is huge for acoustics. Much bigger than for electrics. A significant difference being that at around that price you are getting into models that are all solid wood. 

Also worth saying that Gibson-style acoustics, such as your Epiphone, are often described as being boxy. Some love that, but it sounds like it's not what you're looking for. Maybe (definitely) look into other brands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    I wouldn't say Elixirs are problematic per se but different strings definitely suit different guitars. I have one that after experimenting with options I only use Elixir on, because they sound best on it (to me); another where Elixirs sounds awful, and you're better off with straight phosphor bronze.

So chop and change through a few different types and brands (and gauges) and if it still sounds flat then it's hunt a new guitar time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Do you play with a pick? In my experience either a light or heavy pick have a huge influence on what I hear from my acoustics. In addition to different strings I would try a variety of picks before considering a new guitar. 
  • I agree with a comment above.....if you.want a decent hummingbird sounding guitar sell it and look for a Japanese hummingbird. I've played some excellent examples. The acoustic can't ever be changed dramatically, it either is good or its not in my opinion. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but from experience there's only so much you can do....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Very interesting. That’s effectively a violin soundpost used to transfer vibration to the back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    One thing I notice in the spec for the guitar is that it has a "PVC" nut.  There's nothing wrong in principle with a plastic nut, but there's plastic and plastic.  Yamaha, for example, have always stuck with a very hard Urea Formaldehyde resin that is also used in objects like heavy toilet seats.  It's cracks easily, but is durable and transfers vibration a lot better than softer plastics used on some guitars.  Changing the nut on your guitar to bone or a bone substitute like Tusq MIGHT improve the tone a bit, but it's something that's best left to somebody with experience doing this.

The spec doesn't say what material the saddle is made from, but it's compensated and probably a bone substitute.  It's easy enough for anybody to try a different saddle to see if it changes and improves the tone.  Tusq have a wide range of saddles and you should be able to get one that matches the width, thickness, height and radius.  Having an under-saddle piezo pickup strip can rob a little bit of the natural acoustic tone of a guitar, but there isn't much you can do about that UNLESS a shim has been added to the slot to get the right setup, in which case buying a taller saddle and removing the shim can help.

It comes from the factory fitted with 12s, which is probably the most commonly used gauge of strings on steel strung acoustics.  Maybe 13s would improve the tone?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited August 2023
    I’d definitely change the strings first before doing anything else. I’ve tried coated strings and they sound awful to me. I’d go for phosphor bronze first, but try a few different brands and types. A fair few people on here like Newtones. 

Also what style do you tend to play? If you strum or play with a heavy hand, 11s are way too light and will sound thin with hardly any projection. IMO of course.