Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pedal switcher/looper question? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pedal switcher/looper question?

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to all this fancy modern tech. Is there a way I could use something like a Boss MS3 for example to place drives/fuzzes after reverbs, rather than have an extra fuzz pedal if I were to use individual pedals.

e.g. if my individual pedals are:

OD > Distortion > analog delay > digital delay >  reverb. If I used something like a Boss MS3 (or something else), is there a way to programme it so that drives can come after reverbs, or delays can come before or after?
Not sure how I would do it. Is it one pedal per loop, or could you put delay+reverb into one loop and then add the effects after from the MS3?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    edited August 2023
    You can’t switch the order of effects in the MS-3, but I think you can choose an onboard effect to go after drives or whatever.

If you want to get a switcher which can change the order of effects, then the ES-5 (or ES-8) is exactly what you’re looking for.

Plus to answer your other question, you can place as many pedals in a loop as you please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    My understanding was that the three external loops on the MS-3 were in a fixed order, but that the loops could be placed anywhere in relation to the internal multi-effects chain - that is, you could put a dirt pedal in one of the loops and have it come after a reverb from the MS-3, but you couldn't put a dirt pedal and a reverb pedal in the MS-3's loops and have them be in a different order on different patches.

The ES-5/8 *will* let you swap the order of the loops on different patches.

You can put whatever you want in each loop on any of the units you mention, but if there's more than one pedal in a loop you get all of those effects when you engage the loop unless you switch each one on or off manually.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Thanks guys, seems like either or could work in my case. The MS3 or the ES5. I am not using a huge amount of pedals, but would like to experiment with having some drives and mods after reverbs, but not have to place extra pedals there just for a few ideas only.
    I suppose something like a HX effects or Stomp with my pedals in the loop could possibly achieve the same result.
    Another question: if I had 2 reverbs, and I wanted to reverb 1, then reverb 2, then maybe back to reverb 1, without dancing all over the board, the MS3 could do that? Or I could use an inbuilt reverb in the MS3, then activate the pedal in the loop I suppose.
    Options options!!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Another question: if I had 2 reverbs, and I wanted to reverb 1, then reverb 2, then maybe back to reverb 1, without dancing all over the board, the MS3 could do that? Or I could use an inbuilt reverb in the MS3, then activate the pedal in the loop I suppose.
    Options options!!

It's probably simplest to think of the MS/ES as a multi effect unit with the pedals you plug in to it as effects "modules".

If I were going to do that with my ES-5 I'd build two presets in adjacent slots with the same combination of effects except for the two different reverbs, then I'd be able to toggle between the two with a single footswitch press.

The MS-3 should be able to do the same, regardless of whether one reverb was from a pedal in the loop and the other was from the MS-3's internal effects, or both were pedals, or both from the internal processor.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Thanks for clarifying @english_bob ;