Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I really like this live guitar solo ... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I really like this live guitar solo ...

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
I'm a big fan of Candy Dulfer's live shows, great music and musicianship generally. Her guitarist Ulco Bed gets to step out on this song and I think he does a good job. He's not an amazing 'technical' player or anything, but I think he just captures the spirit of live music and going with it.

Solo comes in just after 2.10 if anyone is interested.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Love that worn-in Antigua burst.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I thought "oh no, saxophone", but yes, I really like that guitar solo.  I think I've seen the clip before, probably someone on here pointed it out.  Cool that she lets him take an extended solo spot like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Wow!  That's the kind of playing I love to listen to and play.  Sublime with a couple of tasty fast runs, but in general just nailing the target notes with smooth bends and sustained notes.  I really enjoyed that.  I've never heard of Candy Dulfer before, but she has it all.  A beautiful elegant lady with great stage presence who can really play that sax.  The whole band looks to be having fun.  Bookmarked for further investigation.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    BillDL said:
    Wow!  That's the kind of playing I love to listen to and play.  Sublime with a couple of tasty fast runs, but in general just nailing the target notes with smooth bends and sustained notes.  I really enjoyed that.  I've never heard of Candy Dulfer before, but she has it all.  A beautiful elegant lady with great stage presence who can really play that sax.  The whole band looks to be having fun.  Bookmarked for further investigation.
    I really enjoy her live concerts on Youtube, it's some of my fave go to music to play at work. I don't know about her studio albums, but the band are really hot live, great vibe throughout.
    I thought she'd had one big hit single many years ago, looking at her discography it must have been "Lily Was Here" with Dave Stewart but that didn't ring any bells.... until I looked it up on YouTube.  It seems this one track launched her whole career!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Was_Here

• Thks for posting really enjoyed that.Reminds me of Bill Nelson a bit.
    edited August 2023
    I've been watching a few more of these clips and he seems to use that Strat on everything.  It looks a proper workhorse - Graph Tech saddles, nut and string trees, EMG pickups, replacement knobs, who knows what else... and I bet it's had at least a couple of refrets.  Super cool.
  • axisus said:
    I'm a big fan of Candy Dulfer's live shows, great music and musicianship generally. Her guitarist Ulco Bed gets to step out on this song and I think he does a good job. He's not an amazing 'technical' player or anything, but I think he just captures the spirit of live music and going with it.

Solo comes in just after 2.10 if anyone is interested.

I dunno, I think he gets pretty "technical". As you say, he just goes for it, and it works. Thanks for posting.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been watching a few more of these clips and he seems to use that Strat on everything.  It looks a proper workhorse - Graph Tech saddles, nut and string trees, EMG pickups, replacement knobs, who knows what else... and I bet it's had at least a couple of refrets.  Super cool.
    Exactly - But many 70's Fender's are fine once you 'customise' them - Then just accept the weight - Players Grade models are often good guitars
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I thought she'd had one big hit single many years ago, looking at her discography it must have been "Lily Was Here" with Dave Stewart but that didn't ring any bells.... until I looked it up on YouTube.  It seems this one track launched her whole career!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Was_Here

I recall that song at the time and have always liked it - But to be honest I know very little of her other than this track
    tFB Trader
    Candy reminds me of a story many years ago in my dad's shop - Dad was a good sax player - He sold a nice good quality alto sax to a very good looking blonde in her early 30's - She would regularly nip in the shop to chat about her sax, buy reeds etc - One day she was talking about getting a good tone from the sax and how she was struggling with this - She was asking questions like 'am I blowing right'  'are my lips to tight around it' 'Do I need to use my tongue more' - Totally oblivious to how it sounded - Sexist I know but genuine story
    Philly_Q said:
    Exactly - But many 70's Fender's are fine once you 'customise' them - Then just accept the weight - Players Grade models are often good guitars
    If I ever get the urge to buy a vintage guitar - and I've no urge at the moment - it'll be a '70s Strat (or maybe a Tele Deluxe).  To me they look cooler than any other Fenders, and several of my favourite players use or used them.  There must be some not-too-bad ones out there.  Couldn't live with the weight though.
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If I ever get the urge to buy a vintage guitar - and I've no urge at the moment - it'll be a '70s Strat (or maybe a Tele Deluxe).  To me they look cooler than any other Fenders, and several of my favourite players use or used them.  There must be some not-too-bad ones out there.  Couldn't live with the weight though.
    There are good examples - But more bad examples - Most used prices don't account for this I'm afraid - Most are priced based on clean/originality etc - A good re-fret certainly enriches them all especially with a maple board - Small + lacquered frets + board is just a no no for anything other than simple chord work
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    edited August 2023
    She plays beautifully (and is gorgeous to boot).

The guitarist however, left me feeling underwhelmed - whiny thin tone which was unpleasant on my ears, played some atonal hammer-ons / pull offs around frets 3 & 5 totally out of tune with the song - and his guitar went out of tune towards the end too (there I thought he did a decent job of compensating for it)

I'd have loved to see what Larry Carlton would have played in that context.

Interesting how our musical tastes differ so much...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    He looks like Joe Pasquale and it was out of tune. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    They are all good players but it all sounds like background to a sex scene in a Channel 5 movie
    "OUR TOSSPOT"