Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Audio Interface Troubleshooting - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Audio Interface Troubleshooting

What's Hot
Can anyone help with troubleshooting please?

Set up is Scarlett Solo with a Rode NT1A

I'm not getting any output from the mic.

I "think" the interface is OK as it works if I plug an electric guitar in but I get nothing on the mic input. The gain ring lights up when I plug a cable into the Scarlett or microphone but I get no sound. If I clap in front of the micro[hone I can sometimes get a brief flash on the gain ring.

I don't have a spare cable to check with :(

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    P.S. I've just check the cable and get continuity from the "pin" to "socket" for each pin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Phantom power?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yes I had it on but good to ask. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited August 2023
    Does the Solo the direct monitor option to send mic input straight to the headphone socket to check signal there?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Is it a proper mic cable with XRL's both ends ? or a female one end and jack plug the other ?

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @mrkb the Scarlet does that but there’s nothing to the headphones. 

@Danny1969 the cable has a female one end and a male the other
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited August 2023
    drofluf said:
    Did you check there’s 48v to the XLR pins? NT1 needs phantom power, so if it’s not there it won’t have any signal.

and when you say no output, is that via a DAW or from speaker plugged into the solo?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    drofluf said:
    @mrkb the Scarlet does that but there’s nothing to the headphones. 

@Danny1969 the cable has a female one end and a male the other
    Well if you have checked the cable and know the mic is good  then it could be an issue with the interface. I brought a similar one from here cheap with the same issue and repaired it so my step son could have a decent interface for recording. Basically there was an analog switch I.C which turns the inputs on a off and also the phantom power. 
    If you have no luck and are sure it's the interface then that's where I would look. But make sure you have selected the correct input in software and ruled out the mic and cable first .. sometimes we miss the little things. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    mrkb said:
    drofluf said:
    Did you check there’s 48v to the XLR pins? NT1 needs phantom power, so if it’s not there it won’t have any signal.

and when you say no output, is that via a DAW or from speaker plugged into the solo?
    That’s the next thing to check. I’m getting no output to speakers, headphones or the computer. Also the gain Ring round the gain control doesn’t light up when I speak/play into the microphone. 

@Danny1969 I haven’t ruled out the mic yet. 
    edited August 2023
    Ok I’m getting 48v between pins 1&2 and 1&3 at the mic end. 

So that means either the mic or the interface?  As I also get continuity on the cable for all pins. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    drofluf said:

So that means either the mic or the interface?  As I also get continuity on the cable for all pins. 
    Sorry I hit lol instead of quote

I know you got continuity but did you check pins 2 and 3 aren't shorted ... because if they are then you will get no signal as it;s a differential input 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    drofluf said:

Sorry I hit lol instead of quote

I know you got continuity but did you check pins 2 and 3 aren't shorted ... because if they are then you will get no signal as it;s a differential input 
    I disconnected both ends of the cable and didn’t get continuity between 2 and 3. Is that the right way to go about it?

I also noticed that pin 1 on the microphone is taller than the other 2 pins. Is that normal/an issue? Plugs all fit snugly 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Do you have Focusrite Control software installed? Might be worth checking the settings.
    edited August 2023
    Yes that's right way to check it ... 
    You can check the mic input with your guitar. 

Turn off phantom power, then put 2 paper clips or similar into pins 2 and 3 of the mic input on the interface  ...the left and bottom ones in a face format. Then touch those to the tip and sleeve of the guitar cable after giving it a big strum 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Keefy said:
    Do you have Focusrite Control software installed? Might be worth checking the settings.
    Thanks, tried a factory reset but it didn’t help. 
    Danny1969 said:

Turn off phantom power, then put 2 paper clips or similar into pins 2 and 3 of the mic input on the interface  ...the left and bottom ones in a face format. Then touch those to the tip and sleeve of the guitar cable after giving it a big strum 
    Thanks, I could hear my guitar when I did that. Also when I tried it at the mic end of the cable. 

So the microphone looks to be the culprit. :(

thanks everyone for your help
    drofluf said:
    Danny1969 said:

Thanks, I could hear my guitar when I did that. Also when I tried it at the mic end of the cable. 

So the microphone looks to be the culprit. :(

thanks everyone for your help
    Was definitely the microphone as the replacement AGK P170 is working fine.

Could I have killed the old one or was I just unlucky? It's lived in the stand in my office., hadn't been knocked or anything. Is there a risk in plugging or unplugging with phantom power on?