Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Country - corny, cheesey but Glenn Campbell sure could play - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Country - corny, cheesey but Glenn Campbell sure could play

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4314

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited August 2023
    Yep, he was a fab player and I loved a lot of his output.  2008's "Meet Glen Campbell" is his version of Johnny Cash's 'American' series, with covers of songs by artists like Travis, Foo Fighters, Green Day etc.  I love it.  Highly recommended.  And his back catalogue is, by and large, pretty impressive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    He became cheesy in the 70s but his late 60s output is great and there are some gems even after that. His version of Don't It Make You Want To Go Home is superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    Watch this - starts about 1 min - solo just after 2 min - I love this song anyway - Recall my dad singing it in his Mecca days 

gentle on my mind glen campbell

And yes what a phenomenal talent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    or dueling banjos - with his daughter on banjo - no mug either

glen campbell banjo duel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    No distortion pedals!  Fast clean picking 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    or dueling banjos - with his daughter on banjo - no mug either

glen campbell banjo duel
    Thanks Mark, I hadn't seen that before.  I'm a sentimental old sod and that brought a tear to my eye.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    I think he played on a load of the classic beach boys albums
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    edited August 2023
    KDS said:

He was briefly a member of the Beach Boys touring band as a replacement for Brian Wilson when Brian decided he wasn't willing to tour anymore.  Also a member of the Wrecking Crew of course who played on a lot of the Beach Boys as well as loads of other stuff.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    tFB Trader
    KDS said:

He was briefly a member of the Beach Boys touring band as a replacement for Brian Wilson when Brian decided he wasn't willing to tour anymore.  Also a member of the Wrecking Crew of course who played on a lot of the Beach Boys as well as loads of other stuff.
    There are other video/history clips of the wrecking crew - This is a more recent version done my Tommy Tedesco's son 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5CB0S0YOIU