Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommendation required for a small synth? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommendation required for a small synth?

What's Hot
I’d like to get a synth with a very small footprint that is capable of providing decent string pads and piano sounds so the band doesn’t have to rely on backing tracks for certain songs. 

I don’t really want to be carting about my Korg Kronos when I have a couple of guitars and amps already in the car. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jackiojackio Frets: 130
    Audiothingies Micromonsta 2...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • How about a Yamaha Reface CP, or a DX if you want to go all out 80s?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    The Triton Taktile might fit the bill - think there were 2 different sizes, but both small
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Micromonsta is very small and a great synth but probably wont gove you the piano sounds. Waldorf Blofeld would do both if you get a used one which has the sample SL already installed for the piano samples 

light but bit bigger a Korg Wavestate will give you everything you need for gigging but might be too large a footprint 

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
    Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve never heard of some of these.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    First Q: how many octaves do you need to perform?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    goldtop said:
    First Q: how many octaves do you need to perform?
    I reckon 32 key’s should be enough, and I’d forgotten that I’d given my son a midi controller a few years ago that he no longer uses, so when I get that back I could connect it to a module.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 782
    edited August 2023
    Yeh, octaves first, and are mini keys and option or do you want full sized ones.  

You wont find a synth that does even half decent pianos though, unless it supports user multisampling  which is both more expensive, and likely a bigger board of just a desktop with no keybed.

So....you either go bigger and use a light workstation type board which absolutely WOULD do what you want or you use VSTs and a controller of your choice, or potentially a controller, with a synth module, and an older sound module that does piano (nothing new, would need to track a used something down).    You also need to consider if the synth side just needs to create those pad/string sounds or if you need to have controls to tweek.

Budget is the final aspect you need to set.  You could spend a lot to get the perfect solution. or not and compromise somewhere.

all that said, my gut says something like the Yamaha MX49.  has strings/pads/synth sounds and piano, 49 keys (4 octaves) is enough for piano (yes more than the 32 keys you mention) and doesn't break the bank at £500 ish.    This link is a decent demo of the things you might need, even if its US "worship" based.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ The MX49 series probably is the best for (fairly) compact size and wide range of decent tones - it's a Motif in a cheap frock. As Paul says, it's super popular among neo-soul/worship fellas who want good pianos and pads.

Korg Triton Taktile, is an odd one. Triton sounds are a bit dated (but IMHO great), and you can also use the 8x2 pad bank to trigger chords for performance. Ujiie can make anything sounds good, of course:

Can't recall a 32-key ROMpler... The Jupiter Xm is packed with pianos and pads and every other sound Roland made famous but is a lot deeper than that and is a lot more £££s.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    My standard instinct for "small synth" is MicroKorg of some sort, but not sure how they are for piano sounds? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • My standard instinct for "small synth" is MicroKorg of some sort, but not sure how they are for piano sounds? 
    non existant
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    edited August 2023
    Roland JDXi 37 keys, under 300 sh, supernatural sounds (seen on the integra). Mono analog synth included.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    swiller said:
    Roland JDXi 37 keys, under 300 sh, supernatural sounds (seen on the integra). Mono analog synth included.
    The piano sounds are a bit lacking. IIRC, it's got a JD800-based piano and a handful of EPs. (It's great value though).
  • goldtop said:
    swiller said:
    The piano sounds are a bit lacking. IIRC, it's got a JD800-based piano and a handful of EPs. (It's great value though).
    Yeh and the keys arnt great either, not full sized and quite low throw.  i mean its great for what it is - but I wouldnt be doing pads/pianos on it. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    The Roland JV-1010 is a great little 1U/half-width MIDI unit.
    ^ Forgot about that. XV-2020 likewise. 
    Thanks everyone, Once I get my midi controller back I’ll see if thats good enough to use before buying a synth with a key bed. 
  • As a curveball, the microfreak recently had sample support added to it. It is paraphonic, so you wouldn’t be able to play it like a standard piano though. However it does sport a vocoder if you get the mic, which is fun 

https://youtube.com/shorts/wUYS16wKwXY?feature=share
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    M-audio key station hook up to your phone... Job done.
  • thomasw88 said:
    M-audio key station hook up to your phone... Job done.
    gosh no....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    If you have a Midi controller then the Roland MC 101 has ZenCore which is pretty good.
  • I was going to ask a similar question and have been drawn towards the Yamaha CP Reface and the Roland keys Go. The Roland is a bit bigger,60 or so keys and I like the effects gimmicks for fun too. Mostly I am looking for home use for fun,learning and theory practice. 
  • I bought a Roland Keys and I really like it. My basic theory knowledge from a few years,about four,of playing guitar has helped with some understanding of how to play chords and basic melodies and with it's many effects (too much rap/hip hop/house type stuff for my liking ) it is fun to play. 61 keys is a lot more than I realised though.
  • My standard instinct for "small synth" is MicroKorg of some sort, but not sure how they are for piano sounds? 
    I use the korg microkorg Xl live(as does my duo partner) - does everything and also has a pc editor . I go from George Ezra to Kraftwerk without any problems- avoid iPads and that malarkey at all costs if you want to reduce stress. I am predominantly playing guitar as well and also singing 50% of the set