Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Yamaha THR5 Software - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Yamaha THR5 Software

rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 16
edited August 2023 in Digital & Modelling
Recently been looking for a tiny portable amp to use in the lounge.

This post is just a short overview in case anyone else is making a similar choice.

The choice ended as a close run between the Yamaha THR5 and THR10ii. I decided that I liked the simpler THR5 and even though it only has a single tone control I assumed that I would be able to use the software to tweak the settings to my liking. The THR10ii has a bluetooth app that allows you to change settings on the fly and save presets, but the THR5 has software that can be used on a connected laptop - so I assumed I could get to the same end result. And, this was my downfall in this particular case.

My plan was use the THR5 for a while, and then connect the computer, make some changes, save them and then never connect the software again once I had it set. Simple.

However, when I connected the software I realised there is no way to save anything to the THR5. I know it doesn't have preset buttons on the unit, but I assumed you could save changes made in the software. But you can't. You can make changes and save them as a preset that lives on your computer - you can select that when connected and it changes the amp settings. But once you disconnect from the computer that's lost and the amp reverts back to the knob settings.

This is a real shame as there are other things in the software which are really useful such as plate reverb, which I would prefer over the standard spring/hall, as well as compressor, noise gate and various speaker options. All can be used so long as you are attached to a computer!

Having used the amp, I understand why this limitation exists. The THR5 has no preset buttons, so if you saved changes to the unit - where would they be saved. I did assume you could take the standard 'Clean' setting, change it and then save it so you had a custom version of 'Clean' on the amp. But no, you can't do that.

I have to say, knowing this now, I really don't see what the point of the software is. The THR5 is a fun little portable amp, it's great that is has software to make changes - but that's quite useless if you can only have those changes whilst tethered to a computer. In this case it would have been better to not have had the option of the software.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to moan, but just to highlight this to anyone looking at the THR5 rather than the THR10ii and planning to tweak it with the software.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter