Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Binned. Balls. Golf Balls (brand new). - Misc £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Binned. Balls. Golf Balls (brand new).

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
edited August 2023 in Misc £
Any golfists on here want some new balls?

I've got 5 boxes of these, brand new and un-hit, 4 mini-boxes of 3 balls in each, so 60 balls in total.  Had them for ever with a vague idea that - one day - I'd start playing golf regularly and would need a decent supply of balls to replace all the ones that I'd be bound to lose.  But I haven't, and can't see me ever doing, so not a lot of point in keeping these.

They're corporate branded, from a long defunct (and not at all embarrassing!) corporate. 

£35 delivered?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    What brand are they?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    @BigBearKris ;

Titleist PTS Wound - I'm guessing the photo isn't showing!
  • TTony said:
    @BigBearKris ;

I can see your balls fine
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    TTony said:
    @BigBearKris ;

I assumed he was asking what the corporate branding was. Not everyone wants to golf about with Spearmint Rhino branded balls. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sesh said:
    I assumed he was asking what the corporate branding was. 
    That would make more sense!
    httpsstatictvtropesorgpmwikipubimagesdeja_q_hd_046_resized_6484jpg

AXA Provincial - a long defunct insurance company

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited August 2023
    Are these from Titleist's 'good balls' era?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hattigol said:
    Are these from Titleist's 'good balls' era?
    They fly like butter apparently, are NOS vintage, and made in the USA originals rather than those cheap knock-off Mexican models.
    ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Thanks Tony, not for me unfortunately. 
    Keep them - maybe one sunny day you'll get back out "there". ;)
  • How old are they fella? Sounds weird but unused golf balls have a shelf life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sounds weird but unused golf balls have a shelf life.
    Well, that's something I never knew @strumjoughlamps !

Having just done a quick Google, the wisdom seems to be that they'll last for ~10yrs, and these are certainly a lot older than that (I'd guess close to 30yrs).  

They'd have been more than 10yrs old when I used some of their brothers and sisters in the few rounds that I did play.  Perhaps that's why my scores were so bad ...

Before anyone else says it, yes, looks like my balls are too old to be properly functional.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    TTony said: AXA Provincial - a long defunct insurance company

Strangely enough I worked for AXA at the time and handled the PR when the CEO of the AXA Provincial general insurance arm was fired in 1998. The company name was changed to AXA Insurance later that year. I didn’t get any free golf balls though!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Small world @fretfinder. ; AXA in Cardiff at the time?

I worked for them for a few years.  The company had gone through a few rebrands in the preceding years, and all the old-branded stuff had to be disposed of each time.   I was just starting out with golf, so grabbed a load of these thinking that they'd come in very handy.  The fact that they're still unused probably tells you how far I got with the golf ...
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    TTony said:
    Small world @fretfinder. ; AXA in Cardiff at the time?

I worked for them for a few years.  The company had gone through a few rebrands in the preceding years, and all the old-branded stuff had to be disposed of each time.   I was just starting out with golf, so grabbed a load of these thinking that they'd come in very handy.  The fact that they're still unused probably tells you how far I got with the golf ...
    I initially worked for AXA Equity & Law in High Wycombe. I moved to the plc holding company in London when AXA merged the life insurance company Sun Life with Equity & Law, and also merged the general insurance companies AXA Insurance in Cardiff and Provincial Insurance in Kendal. I think I visited the Cardiff offices once. I didn’t take up golf until 2002 so missed out on what would’ve been a great time for scrounging outdated branded merchandise!
  • JanahanJanahan Frets: 23
    I'd have been more than happy finding a PTS Wound when I was growing up but as mentioned above, they're really too old to be used on the course, unless you like to make things more difficult.

If you just want to get rid of them and got a golf club nearby you could donate them to juniors as practice balls. Just did this with a few bags of old practice balls I had and a lot better than sticking them in a skip.
    They went in the bin already.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Did you actually bin these :open_mouth: ?
    @king85 - yes.
    They were genuinely worthless as golfballs. Wound balls have usable lifespans of around 2-3 years. These were about 30 years old!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Ah ok, i'd never heard of wound one before as i've only got into golf in the last few years
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 111
    I have never used a golf ball to play golf, but I do use them to make sandcastle golf-ball rollercoasters every time I go to the beach. It’s great fun, you can make them go through tunnels and all sorts.

The beach I spent most of my childhood summers at was next to a golf course, so they just turned up naturally. These days I buy them specifically for the purpose!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    This seems like an opportune time to demonstrate my complete ignorance of golf and also show my age.  As kids we would peel off the outer white layer of hard plastic and unravel all the lumpy elastic until we got to a small squishy black ball in the centre that contained purple liquid reputed by our peers to be toxic and able to cause blindness if squirted.  We would roll the elastic on our thighs into increasingly thicker "pleats" until we had a really thick multi-stranded catapult elastic.  The rubber balls burst nicely on the sides of buses, street signs and school walls, but ball bearings caused infinitely more damage to things.

Are golf balls all completely solid now?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    As kids we used to remove the outer white layer of hard plastic and make a deep, but not too deep slash in the elastic & watch it go randomly shooting off in all directions while shedding the stringy rubber winding.
    Cut too deep & the above happened, accompanied by squirting the white sticky (latex?) inner fluid all over the place.

Simpler times, or simpler people?...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nowadays, kids just watch videos of such things on their Ipads...  :/