Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Roland Cube 10gx vs Roland JC-22 or other small clean combo - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Roland Cube 10gx vs Roland JC-22 or other small clean combo

What's Hot
BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
I'm looking for a small lightweight clean combo with a decent sound for Jazz guitar. Anyone got any experience with the above or can recommend any other combos under £450.00. Needs a control for middle and headphones out.
I've discounted the Boss Katana 50 sounds very thin to me and the DV Mark Little Jazz due to it's reliability issues.
Any other suggestions, preferably solid state?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    Ive had 2 JC-22's and i'm not ruling out getting another at some point ( its alway a second amp so first out the door) and the clean is absolutely fantastic, the stereo effect is a little limited as its quite small but its there. I've also got a Cube Dual LX and that is also great but might be a bit low volume for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited August 2023
    I’ve recently bought an Award-Session 5E3 Extra. Does a very nice warm clean that breaks up (but never too much) when pushed. It doesn’t have the control for middle that you asked for but does have a ‘Fat’ switch which chubs things up nicely.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    There’s a JC-22 for sale on Facebook market place for £275, looks mint and is in Wiltshire fwiw.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 276
    For jazz, I’d suggest a Mambo amp (https://mambo-amp.co.uk/). I have one and I love it.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    I'm looking for a small lightweight clean combo with a decent sound for Jazz guitar. Anyone got any experience with the above or can recommend any other combos under £450.00. Needs a control for middle and headphones out.
    I've discounted the Boss Katana 50 sounds very thin to me and the DV Mark Little Jazz due to it's reliability issues.

Does the reliability issues also affect the DV Mark Jazz 12 model? https://www.thomann.de/gb/dv_mark_jazz_12.htm
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    duotone said:

Does the reliability issues also affect the DV Mark Jazz 12 model? https://www.thomann.de/gb/dv_mark_jazz_12.htm
    The first review on Thomann refers to hiss/noise problems, shame as I think they have a good sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    smigeon said:
    For jazz, I’d suggest a Mambo amp (https://mambo-amp.co.uk/). I have one and I love it.
    Well above my budget, I'm afraid.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    edited August 2023
    Quilter Superblock US has a really nice clean jazz tone, you'd have to pair it with a speaker of course, I copied this guy and went for a Toob Metro (mine's a GP), but it works nicely with my 1x12" Egnater cab too.

https://youtu.be/r3F5A5Kh3fE 

Sorry, just noticed you specified combo...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Quilter Superblock US has a really nice clean jazz tone, you'd have to pair it with a speaker of course, I copied this guy and went for a Toob Metro (mine's a GP), but it works nicely with my 1x12" Egnater cab too.

I do like the look of the Quilter, in fact, I considered getting it as a desktop amplifier and using the DI into some powered monitors, whilst I save up for a matching speaker.
    Where did you get the TOOB metro from, was it a UK retailer?

This is a good comparison video:

• Quilter Superblock US has a really nice clean jazz tone, you'd have to pair it with a speaker of course, I copied this guy and went for a Toob Metro (mine's a GP), but it works nicely with my 1x12" Egnater cab too.

I do like the look of the Quilter, in fact, I considered getting it as a desktop amplifier and using the DI into some powered monitors, whilst I save up for a matching speaker.
    Where did you get the TOOB metro from, was it a UK retailer?

This is a good comparison video:

I just ordered direct from Toob. The guy was really helpful with advice on speaker type etc. I don't think there are any dealers in the UK. If you're near Manchester you're welcome to try mine.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Have been watching this thread with interest & wondered how the search is going @BigLicks67 ?
    duotone said:
    Have been watching this thread with interest & wondered how the search is going @BigLicks67 ?
    To be honest I’ve been having a rethink and my initial intention to keep my Loudbox mini and get a separate amp for electric guitar may be changing. If I can raise some cash I might get an Aer Compact 60 and use it for both acoustic and arch top. Just need to sell some stuff first. For the time being I’m using the loudbox and Daw.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    duotone said:
    To be honest I’ve been having a rethink and my initial intention to keep my Loudbox mini and get a separate amp for electric guitar may be changing. If I can raise some cash I might get an Aer Compact 60 and use it for both acoustic and arch top. Just need to sell some stuff first. For the time being I’m using the loudbox and Daw.
    I've had great results using an Atomic Amplifier Box Mk2 into the my loud box mini - using the line in input on the back - So I can still use the vocal and acoustic guitar inputs on the front - Honestly it works a treat ;)
    Nikc said:
    duotone said:
    I've had great results using an Atomic Amplifier Box Mk2 into the my loud box mini - using the line in input on the back - So I can still use the vocal and acoustic guitar inputs on the front - Honestly it works a treat ;)
    I'm not familiar with this product, what kind of price are we talking here? Also, are you putting 3 inputs into your LB simultaneously?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Nikc said:
    duotone said:
    I'm not familiar with this product, what kind of price are we talking here? Also, are you putting 3 inputs into your LB simultaneously?
    The amplifier is an amp in a pedal type product there's various options out there - from memory £150 or there about. 

They have been all been plugged in at the same time but I'm only human I play one guitar at a time ;)
  • I'd be tempted to go to a Fender Rumble 25 if it was my money. They sound really great clean, have a mid control and a headphone out.